Gravel - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Gravel

Me and a friend went out for a ride yesterday, i have a ZX6R and My friend was on a fireblade he is more experienced than me so i was taking it a bit slower than him on the twisties. He would fly off down the road and then wait for me, i came to a right hand bend that we take pretty fast all the time when i saw his bike laying on the floor and he was in the bush, it's not something you expect when entering a bend as he didn't expect there being gravel over the road he lost all grip on the front tyre then the tyre regained grip and thru him off.

moral of the story you don't always know what to expect when entering a bend as my friend found out.

anyway he's of work for 6 weeks with 2 broken bones in his left arm and a swollen ankle and broken thumb thanks to his full gear he was wearing at the time, the good thing is he's still alive.

Always ride safe and wear the protective clothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:04 PM

Hope your freind heals quickly and well ! Wearing the right gear makes all the difference. I'm sure had he not been wearing anything but a t-shirt and flip-flops he would be much worse off.

Your post illustrates that you should always ride within your limits as well. Had you been right behind him, there would have been two of you in the bushes.

Again, hope your bud is okay, and everyone ride smart, have fun, and ride safe.

Peace
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Yes i agree about staying within your limits, it could of been alot worse.

i enjoy riding my zx6r, i do ride with experienced riders but i just hang back and enjoy the ride, i go out to enjoy myself not to try and kill myself and the good thing is the other experienced riders i go out with understand this and never put me under pressure to keep up.

And yes my bud is doing well. he can't wait to get back in the sadle as they say.

Thanks.

Ride Safe Always

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 02:17 PM

As a rule of thumb..I usually make a slow pass on the roads I ride..then if everything looks hunky dory, then ya can step it up..but to assume that all roads are free from debris..IMHO..is kinda dumb..I mean ...you don't know if someone in a cage pulled off to the side, then spun up their tires, and spit gravle on the road..ect...Take a few extra mins. and make a slow pass to determan if the roads are in good condition...those extra few mins. could save ya a lot of greif...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:37 AM

Gravel on pavement is like hitting a maze of marbles.

Debris can always turn up on the road. I read of where a chap hit a wheel/tyre for he was in a bumper to bumper bit to work & eyes were on traffic & not the surface.
Around 3 weeks ago I was on some of my usual roads carved out of the mtns where the forest comes right down to the small ditches of the twisty 2-lane roads.
Sun to my left so shadows, from the trees, on the road. Suddenly the 929 & I took a sort of hike into the air.
Thought I had hit a chunk out of the road, but no the pavement was in good shape. As I walked back to check I begin to not parts of an 18 wheeler's tyre that had blowen & sure enough in the middle of the shadow was a good portion of said tyre.
Turned around & rode home with caution, wondering if I had picked up some parts of the steel --- fortunately not, but still a reminder of what can be on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode