Having a tough time as a new sportbike rider? This Harley guy crashed in 10 seconds! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Talking Having a tough time as a new sportbike rider? This Harley guy crashed in 10 seconds!

See the article below... here's the link if you doubt the stories authenticity...

http://www.boston.com/news/daily/01/odds_bike.htm

Retiree buys, crashes Harley motorcycle
By Associated Press, 10/01/02

SAGINAW, Mich. Baby boomer Jim Zimmerman's brief fling as a tough biker ended in pain very quickly.

The retiree's misadventure began when, facing 60, he gave into a youthful yen and got a local dealership to deliver a brand-new Harley-Davidson to his door.

"It was a mid-age crisis thing," Zimmerman admitted last week. "I'd see these dudes with women and thought a motorcycle would put me in like Flynn.

"I didn't look at the obvious, that I hadn't been on a bike in 30 years and probably didn't remember much about it."

Ten seconds after he climbed aboard for the first time, he struck a neighbor's utility trailer at 40 mph and broke several ribs. The odometer logged a tenth of a mile.

"It was so fast, and I didn't think fast enough," he said. "I probably panicked and throttled the gas in a death grip.

"Oh my god, I hurt in places I didn't know could hurt. The cops said it's a miracle I'm alive."

After $2,000 in insured repairs on the bike -- and more on the neighbor's trailer -- Zimmerman sold his Harley for an $800 loss. But the experience isn't quite over. Until his complimentary membership in the Harley Owners Group runs out, "I get a mailing every two to three weeks, reminding me of how stupid I was," he said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 07:14 AM

And the insurance companies couplain about the "average" life of 'busas, r1's and r6's........

HAHAHAHAHA

ROTFLMFAO

Later
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 07:17 AM

Man that really sucks.

I did something like that when I was 10. First time I ever rode my YZ80 I about the same thing, except I hit a tree. Luckily, I was hurt at all.

Too bad the old timer gave up riding because of one boneheaded stunt.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 07:25 AM

Here is a story with a different twist.

I know my father rode a bicycle sometime back in the early 30s as he taught me how to ride my bicycle in '35.
So comes the yr of '55 & my father is with his interest in my m/cs & giving a helping hand.
He asks me if he could ride the LE Velocette. I looked at him & he knew it from top to bottom, but had never ridden a m/c in his 55 yrs of life. Said SURE, but suggested we roll it down the steep gravel driveway to a flatter gravel back-alley.
Still my Dad had cranked the starter lever (the Le Velocette had a hand crank starter & 3-speed cog box with hand gear change), engine was running smooth, off choke & down he went with some wobbles to be off on his lst ride.
Back some 20 minutes later & said he liked it, but asked if I could put a windscreen on the bike. I did & that was basically his bike untill October '59 when some drunk hit him from behind.
He was smart enough to know any of my street irons (cafe racers) or even Observed Trials bikes were to much for him so end of his riding. At least he had the sense to know his limit.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 03:32 PM

I hear stories like that all the time from students of mine whose friends did the same thing. The only good thing is that it convinced them to take a riding class and not just try to learn how to ride right on their own.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:08 PM

Self Taught Riders, can't stress how important taking a riding course is.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode