my upshifts are not smooth. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

my upshifts are not smooth.

how do you upshift smoothly? when im riding and i close the throttle then the bike kidna lurches cuz of the compression change but how do you upshift quickly if you cant close the throttle fast enough without the bike lurching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 02:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
let's not talk about speed shifting yet.

try shifting at higher rpm's. it sounds like you're shifting at 3-4k. shift a little bit higher and the motor's own inertia (sp?) should keep it spinning good.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 07:38 AM

Practice, pactice & practice yet do it in a more sensible pace for speed shifting is not for someone new to a m/c. The upshifting should be as smooth as a baby's bum.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 07:46 AM

As I learned to ride a Harley with ---

---a hand shift & foot clutch, same with Indians, so going to Brit irons with foot gearchange was a piece or cake.
Still I noted even those with a few yrs experience on their Brit irons were not as fast as myself when I change the foot clutch to a suicide-clutch (this means there was no friction bite on the toe-heel clutch & in actual fact just a toe clutch released like any car) & could shifter faster then the best on the Brit irons.
So the answer lays in PRACTICING.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 10:58 AM

Apply a little upward pressure on the shift lever before you pull in the clutch. Chop the throttle momentarily while squeezing the clutch lever. You'll find that it'll snick into gear long before the clutch lever is all the way to the handlebar. The gas should be back on just as the clutch is engaging fully. There should be no compression braking. If you do it just right it'll feel like an automatic. Practice practice practice. Shift more than you need to
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

how fast do you guys release the throttle? do you just chop it back very quickly or gradually release it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 03:18 PM

I only pull the clutch lever half way in and shirft. Then I slowly and smoothly ease out the clutch as I roll on the throttle. Work on that and as time goes by you will get faster and faster at it. Do it right before you do it fast.

The ultimate goal is to be as smooth as you can. This can also make your rear tire last much longer.

The best riders are the smoothest ones.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 04:57 PM

Same as Squid Killer. Just try to do it right everytime and rpactise at it. Don't want to get on a litre bike and be jerky . Oh and by the way good to see you SK!!!

Cheers
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 12:47 PM

You will get to where it just seems as if you give the clutch lever a light tap for up or down shifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode