1st post on forum, lots of questions!!! w00t - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Arrow 1st post on forum, lots of questions!!! w00t

Hey all, im 17 and have wanted a motorcycle my whole life. And i mean...my whole life. Im very into the car scene, i currently have once very fast little modded mr2 turbo. Oh how i love it, but ive always been wanting more. Thats where the bike comes in. Here are my questions:

---What does FL require for insurance, do i need to get it? I will be getting a ninja ex500 or maybe a 6 if i can find one for a good price, but like i said, ill prob get the 500. And it will be a used one, i would like to spend less than 3000 on one a few years old. Ist there something saying if my bike is less than XXX $$$ then i dont need insurance?

---Where in florida can i take the msf class? (I live in fort myers.)

---I have never ridden a bike before and how would the whole getting license thing go.... this is what i thought ---> take class--learn to ride--get waiver--go to dmv--pass written--get license--get bike/safty stuff----and its go time!!!!

--How expensive is it to maintain..oh...say a 96 ex500? after the bike, i wont have that much $$. Oh, and im very mechanical, ive been working on cars for ever, so i will be working on this myself. Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 04:08 PM

This is going to be more expensive then you figured on.

The other questions can be answered by others, still you had better set aside a decent some for protective riding gear & above all remember that m/c parts are like their wt in gold & do not have the life of a cage vehicle.
M/cis is a fun sport, but it is COSTLY even if one is learning to ride & handle the bike & doing sensible riding on it.!!!!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 05:36 PM

GoTime-

Welcome to the wonderful world of riding. Once you get that bike, your MR2 will become a bastard child that never leaves the garage.

Follow the link for MSF questions http://www.msf-usa.org/pages/MAIN1.html

Can't help you with the FL insurance questions.

If 3G's is what you have to spend, don't forget about gear. You might have to look at cheaper rides.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i have kept in mind the gear. Im buying a helmet soon for autocross anyway, and im just gona get a good m/c one. But i mean less than 3000 on the bike, so have have $$ for the other nesesities. I was thinking like...94-96 ninja 500.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 06:39 PM

Good choice

Good choice of your first bike. Just PM basicblur. You will learn soon that he knows more about kawasakis than Kawasaki.

Once you've ridden a sport bike, fast cars won't have their former thrill. You'll be looking for a good pickup truck soon.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

nooooooo if this will make me think (which i know it will) that my 300hp mr2 is slow.....then forget it!!!!

oh well, i have the need for speed, but once i get the bike all i will have is fear and repect. which means no fooling around.

anyway, anyone know about the insurance in FL cost?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 07:41 PM

I know exactly where you're coming from GoTime, I also live in FL and wanted to ride since I was a kid. I took the MSF course when I was 16, and have been riding for the last 3 years since then, with a motorcycle as my only form of transportation. Taking the MSF course is definitely the first thing you want to do. It is administered over a weekend, and after successful completion, you will know the basics of riding. If you complete the MSF, you can take your proof (a MSF card) to your DMV and they will put a Motorcycle Also endoursement on your liscence. As for your other question about insurance, its kind of a touchy subject. Check out this website for more details:

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/motorcyclefaqs.html

Theoretically, you do not have to have insurance, but I would highly recommend it. It may be more expensive than your car insurance, especially because of your age, but when you go down the first time, you will appreciate it. Trust me, no matter how careful you ride, its a law of nature that you will toss your bike sometime. Luckily for me, of the three times I've been down, all were my fault and did not involve cars or major injury. I've only had to make a claim with my insurance company for one of those accidents (the last one that "totalled" my CBR900rr ), but it payed off in the end.

A 500cc Ninja is a good choice for your first bike. I was actually considering one for mine. Luckily I was able to ride my Dad's 1980 Yamaha XS1100 ("Old Big and Heavy") for a the first six month while I was learning the ins and outs(dumping of your steed) of riding. However, when it came time to get my own bike, I felt that I had to get a real sportbike. My first bike was a 1994 Honda CBR900rr, maybe a little overkill for a beginner, but I was careful and I survived. Now, after my last accident where my bike was written off, I have the best bike on Earth: a Suzuki TL1000R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure you do get safety gear: a good motorcycle jacket (saved my hide three times so far), a DOT/ Snell approved helmet, thick leather gloves, and some sturdy boots. Check out www.motorcyclegearreview.com for some opinions.

Anyway, check out that page and get back to me if you have any other questions. Later
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

That was some great info. So wait, youve been riding since you were 16? So im guessing you can have a m/c license at 16, but you cant buy (w/o parents) a bike till you 18.

How much does it cost to take the msf course?

Also, whats this i hear of "jetting kits" what exactly do they do. like stage 3 jet kit...what is that?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 10:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
jet kits have different needles and the like for the carbs. motorcycles, to pass epa laws, are run lean. jetting helps with it that.

i personally think jetting is one of the few modifications that a new rider should ever concider when buying a bike. they help smooth out throttle response. they might a tenth or two of horsepower (sometimes much more), but what they do for smoothing a bike is well worth it.

do either of your parents ride? is either one cool with the idea of you riding? if so, they may be able to help on the insurance front. especially if you buy a bike with stock pipes, since mister2 is probably fairly loud (even with the turbo). just tell them that this isn't gonna be like your mr2. it's just gonna be transportation. cheap, fun transportation. if they say no, tell you found this really cool chevelle. it's go a 502 crate motor putting out 500hp. then ask what drum brakes are and tell them that the guys said it doesn't have power brakes, does that mean it doesn't have abs? tell them all it needs is seatbelts and mufflers and it'll be ready to rock and rock. since, you couldn't get the motorcycle, you thought this would be fun and cheap.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

well, my parents are strongly against it. that is why i dont know if i can afford the insurance.

but anyway, my parents will have nothing to do with this, and loudness isnt really an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode