should I leave my bike on the stand - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

should I leave my bike on the stand

HI .im new to the world and iI have a question.I have an R6 (2000)and was wondering when I put it away for a day or two should I leave it on its kick stand or put it on its pitbull rear stand?The reason I ask is because it uses 6mm spools in the swing arm?
Thanks in advance for the opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 01:44 AM

A few days (even a week or two) on the side stand won't hurt anything as long as there's no danger of the bike getting tipped over and there's nothing wrong with your side stand. If you were talking weeks or months, it would be a good idea to get the weight of the bike off the tires to prevent flat spots from developing. While a spooled rear stand is very stable, I'm curious about your comment about using 6mm spools. What are you concerned about?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 06:23 AM

I usually put mine up on the Pit Bull stands, I have more confidence in those than a sidestand. I use the rearstand most everytime I park the bike and it gets teh front stand if it is going to be parked more than a day. You would really have to work at knocking the bike over when it is on a Pit BUll stand.

I think he is worried if the spools will hold the bike for a period of time. Yes they will, they are very strong and they should not fail, even when the bike is stored for months at a time. I would suggest the billet aluminum spools and not the plastic.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 07:10 AM

Macattack,

There's nothing wrong with leaving your bike on the side stand as long as you do two things as a matter of habit.

1. Always put the bike in gear to prevent a tip over should someone bump the bike from the rear. The amount of over-center with the side stand is the big factor here. Some bikes can be eased forward with just a nudge.

2. Always make sure the the bike is on level ground and if it's not than be sure the front end is higher. Many an unfortunate rider ignores the downhill slope thinking that having his bike in gear will prevent his bike from going forward. Compression will hold the bike back only so long. How long depends on tha amount of compression, the weight of the bike, amount of the slope, etc. Just make a habit of having the rear end low.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 07:29 AM

Talking thanks...

I have a micron rws, should I replace it with a pitbull? j/k
It does seem to be the popular item on this site though. Here in Alaska we put ours up for like 6 months....I think you guys convinced me to invest in a fws as well.....now I have to explain that to the wife...any help on that matter is appreciated....lol
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 08:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Re: thanks...

Quote:
Originally posted by akcbr
I have a micron rws, should I replace it with a pitbull? j/k
It does seem to be the popular item on this site though. Here in Alaska we put ours up for like 6 months....I think you guys convinced me to invest in a fws as well.....now I have to explain that to the wife...any help on that matter is appreciated....lol
show her all the posts claiming tires flat spot and dry rot in the garage. i never had it happened to me, but lots of people believe it can happed. the fork lift stand isn't much more than a new tire and it'll save tires for life.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 07:39 PM

DaveL answered your question.

In my area or many other places in Cdn bikes rest on the prop stands for 3 to 6 months each year. Never have any problems like flat spot tyres, etc.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 05:51 AM

Believe it or not this happens!!

You go for a ride and pick something up in your tire. You park your baby in the garage without noticing the slow leak. Over night the tire goes flat and BOOM she crashes over in the garage. I use my rear stand all the time. Its easy enough with spools and you get good at it.

Rather than leave my bike in gear, I use a stick or glove as a wheel chock. When I first started riding, leaving your bike in gear was a good way to set yourself up for some embarassment. For example, starting it up in gear infront of other riders and zipping off into the bushes.

Last edited by Smoke Eater; 10-05-2002 at 05:53 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 03:53 PM

hahahaha got a picture of that in my head now
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:02 AM

Most bikes come with some sort of ignition cut off switch now. They won't start in gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode