Sv650 For First Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Sv650 For First Bike

I am a rather large guy at 6'5 260lbs, 28 yo and need some advice. My dad does track days quite frequently and I have been tagging along learning, observing, and talking with other riders here in socal. I want to start riding and I have sat on a few bikes and the SVS seems to feel very comfortable and from what I have read a very user friendly beginner bike. My goals are two take the MSF course, a couple of schools and start doing track days with my pops and his buddies. I am lucky to have a group of people that will show me the ropes as far as riding instruction is concerned. I am very level headed and understand that a smaller bike is good to start off with, not 750's literbikes and even some 600's. I am not a show-off and want to become fast on the track, not on the street. Is this a good bike to begin with? Will an experienced rider please reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:53 PM

The SV is a fantastic bike, not just for beginners. It's also a great track / racebike. The benefit of starting on a LW bike is that you learn to be smooth and keep your corner speed up since you don't have the juice of a bigger bike. Sometimes when you start track riding on a larger bike you use the horsepower as a crutch instead of being smooth.

Look at MotoGP, many of those guys were fast 250 riders first.

I was turning faster lap times on my SV than my 600 for a while, even though the SV was spotting it some 30 bhp.

I actually am selling an SV street / track bike with upgraded suspension, rear-sets, clip-ons, ss-lines, EBC HH KIT pads, etc. so let me know if you're interested.

-quikie
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:30 PM

Great forum for this bike at www.svrider.com - Riders Board.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 03:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
the only bike in my opinion that could be a better choice than the sv-s is the non-faired sv650 (non-s). you want to at least replace the fairing when you go to the track. the non-s had the fairing off, so you can through a race upper (and lower if need) on it and still have saved enough cash to buy some clip-ons and maybe fork springs. for your size, i would recommend replacing the shock with a penske/fox or at least a le, traxxion, race-tech, curcuit 1 gsxr unit. and definitely get at least fork springs.

i think at your height you'd find the cheaper fzr400's to be very small. and hawk's (i.e honda nt650 88-90 or so) aren't that much cheaper than an sv650.

good luck, i know you'll have fun with it.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. Hey Quickie, how much ya sellin the SV for?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:17 AM
elo

I totally agree with Tony, upgrade the suspension right away. I didn't notice it for a few thousand miles, but I weigh over 100 lbs less than you do! I have a RaceTech front end and a Penske GSXR 750 shock in the rear.

At your size (height I mean) I would highly recommend NOT riding an SV on the street for any extended period of time. I am 6'0 and my knees start to really cramp up after a few hours. I've never had this happen at a track though, so you should be fine!

Excellent choice!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

The suspension adjustment is mandatory right away. My pops has a buddy that does everyone's setup out here in Cali for dirt cheap parts and all. I can't wait!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 12:45 PM

I PMed you with the info.

-quikie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode