best riding jacket - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Question best riding jacket

Hi all. I was wondering what is the best jacket for riding safely and comfortably. I live in Missouri and during the summer I'd like to be as cool as possible. I was wondering if leather is a totally bad idea. I know that some jackets such as Joe Rocket Blaster jackets can made out of leather and have vents and perforation to increase air flow. I was wondering just how effective these options are. Is leather still really hot in the summer? OR, do I just need to go with a textile jacket? I really like the styling and feel of leather, but if it's gonna be too hot, I guess I'll consider that. I have seen jackets that mix the two materials; leather arms and textile chest. How do these compare? Any comments on favorite jackets as far as safety, and as far as comfort in hot summer whether would be helpful.
Thank you,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:28 PM

This is probably not the answer you want to hear, but, in this part of the country, you need 2 jackets. If you don't want to buy 2, I would go with a summer jacket like the Joe Rocket Reactor.

You will ride 10 times as often in the warmer months than you will in the colder ones. And you can always wear more layers UNDER you summer jacket in the colder weather.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:26 AM
elo

Unfortunately there is no "best" jacket. Leather sucks in hot weather, perforated or not. There are a few people that I know that ALWAYS wear leather though I don't know how they do it!

It's a little more expensive, but I've got a summer jacket and a winter jacket. Up until very recently, my winter jacket was a textile jacket, now leather with hard armor. In Phoenix heat though, I would literally pass out on the bike. I bought a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket last summer and am VERY happy with it. I can't wear it in the winter though, I get too cold!

If I were only to buy one jacket, I'd get a textile jacket and put hard armor in it. The textile breathes better than leather in hot weather but does a fine job of keeping you warm in the winter, with layers.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 07:04 AM

I think it depends on your way of driving and your amount of money you're willing to spend).
In the cold days I drive with a textile jacket (with all protection off course). When it's getting warmer I remove the inside (lining?).
There are also zippers for ventilation.

The disadvantage is motion of the jacket at high speeds. Then, leather is without doubt the best.
With open ventilation gaps you're like a balloon at speed.

So, I suggest think good, and buy one jacket first, a little while later the second...

Success
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 02:31 PM

BEST RIDING GEAR

IMHO the best leathers u can buy are Vanson. They are constantly ranked as #1 in the business. They are quite espensive,but we are talking about your body,so expense shouldn't be the main concern, safety is!

Try newenough.com for good deals on closeouts or Ebay for used or new leathers and apparell. Just bought some violator gloves from new enough and they are half priced because they are last yrs. gloves. Each yr manufactures have discontinued or new models to get rid of for cheap. So check it out, and look around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode