Helmet Lock? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Helmet Lock?

Hello all, I just got a real quick question about my helmet lock...On my 500R there's a real tiny lock type thing under the seat, and I thought that I'd just loop my helmet's metal D-ring in there, but when I tried it, it wouldn't fit, so I could only attach the helmet by using this elastic band attached to the helmet (HJC). Is that what I'm supposed to do? Cause...it seems like it'd be kind of easy to just snip the band and snatch my helmet. I looked in the manual and it didn't say anyhting about it.

Also, do you guys keep track of which gear you're in all the time? Cause I always forget and find out I'm in 6th when I can't shift up anymore...

And are motorcycles supposed to park in regular parking spaces? Or can we park them like bikes?

Ok, so that was three questions...sorry...

On another note, my bike and I are doing fine, it's at 135 miles now, and it seems like it's gonna take forever before I get to 1000 miles and don't have to worry about breaking it in, but I guess it's better than ruining the engine Still haven't dropped it yet though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 12:46 PM

#1. NEVER leave your helmet on your m/c or on any helmet strap lock. Vandals are of all ages & just love to cut off the helmet & the loss is to you. Carry your helmet & riding gear with you.
#2. Once you have more experience you will FEEL what gear you are in or know immediately when you look down at tach & speedo ---- I like to keep my engines singing in higher revs so am not into high gears of most hwy runs. That is especially so with my Honda 929 & even my rather guttless (as some feel it is) YZF600r.
#3. I tend to use regular parking spaces UNLESS I know some little corner is okay to park on. For IF(?) you are on an illegal paring area & bike is knocked over ---forget about the other party's insurance paying for your damages 75% of the time.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 01:37 PM

Ill take #3 for 1000 chuck,

Firts off, if you are riding its probably hot outside, and the hotter it gets the more mushy asphalt gets. When you put a 500lb bike on a 2 inch square it tends to dig in and eventually the bike will fall over. For this reason I always park on a empty part of the sidewalk or pathway, but in a fashion that doesent block the path of cagers, nor do I ride down the sidewalk flashing my hi beams and honking my horn to get to perfect spot (ive seen h\d owners do this often) Alwas be aware of any peds. If you get hassled by owner, tell him you dont wanna poke hole in his pavement or take up a whole cage spot. 99% of the time tho, managers understand and the peds rubberneck looking at bike. If you listen closley, sometimes you catch a "nice bike" or "man I wish I still rode"!

As a bonus you avoid cell talkin soccor moms who are out to knock yer bike over in the lot when you cant avoid 'em.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:15 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Re: Helmet Lock?

Quote:
Originally posted by banpei
Hello all, I just got a real quick question about my helmet lock...On my 500R there's a real tiny lock type thing under the seat, and I thought that I'd just loop my helmet's metal D-ring in there, but when I tried it, it wouldn't fit, so I could only attach the helmet by using this elastic band attached to the helmet (HJC). Is that what I'm supposed to do? Cause...it seems like it'd be kind of easy to just snip the band and snatch my helmet. I looked in the manual and it didn't say anyhting about it.
I agree with Smitty,
try to avoid leaving your helmet on your bike. I've heard stories of people doing that and getting their helmets spit in, pissed in, etc. Some people just have no respect for other people's belongings. Just be careful!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

LOL Spicer, I was gonna say "pissed in?!?!? What kind of place do you live in?" But then I noticed I live all of...30 miles away from you. (Moraga) LOL...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 06:42 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by banpei
LOL Spicer, I was gonna say "pissed in?!?!? What kind of place do you live in?" But then I noticed I live all of...30 miles away from you. (Moraga) LOL...
I never had it happen to me out here or in Indianapolis when I lived there, but my wife told me about it. She had some friends near the Vacaville area.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:03 AM

On helmets: Take your helmet with you.

On parking: Put something flat in the undertail of your bike like a crushed can or a small peice of wood that you can stick under the kickstand when parking on asphalt. Sometimes you can get away with parking on the sidewalk but I dont ever do it unless there are other bikes already parked there, or if valets wave me over to it. If its in the path of people walking and a little kid burns his hand touching your bike... Plus its usually illegal and you could get a ticket. When you use the regular parking spaces dont pull all the way into them either to reduce the chance of someone not seeing it,turning into the space and hitting your bike.

On shifting: After 22K on the same bike I still (very rarely) try shifting to "7th" gear. No harm.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 04:43 AM

go to www.aerostich.com
the have a real nice carbon fiber stand plate
Of course, you could use a cruched beer can, but I am much too cool for that!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:40 PM

on regards to the helmet thing,

instead of running the chain/strap through the ring on the chin strap, lift up your visor and run the chain through the face of the helmet, that way they cant just cut your strap and go..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:43 PM

Be real careful when parking on sidewalks, I recently got a new bike and moved to Boston, I go to Northeastern University, and motorcycles always park on the sidewalk, well the second time I did it I was having a smoke and saw a cop come over and ticket about six bikes, I went over and talked with him and he asked how I got the bike up there, well I looked at him like, you know how I got it up here, I drove it. Obviously that is illegal and he said that form now on he will ticket everyone that parks up on the sidewalk. I was lucky he asked which one was mine wished me luck with it and told me to walk it off the sidewalk and told me of some spots that the cops won't bother me. Make sure you know how the cops are in the area you are parking in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode