Bike life expectancy - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Question Bike life expectancy

Hey everyone,

I'm a new member and took the MSF class, I learned a bundle and loved it. Now I am looking for a Suzuki or Yamaha, generally how many miles is safe to be on a used motorcycle when buying used? I'm currently looking into a 98' GSX-R 750 with 12,000 miles and a bunch of extras, will this bike last me a while, and I would appreciate any opinions on the amount of maintenance of both manufacturers.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:20 PM

Any bike can last you for a quite awhile.......depending on the owner of that 98' GSXR. Check for receipts and records of maintenance due to that gixxer. Bikes can last you forever if you take care of it and do the proper services when call for. I know a guy who has 50,000 miles on his R6....it all depends on how well and how proper you treat it. Keep in mind that riding has it's wear and tear but you just have to fix it. When and if you consider buying the bike ask for the manual and that should be sufficient on the intervals of sevice.. also get the service manual for your bike in the dealership. I can't answer you question on service for both manufacture but it all depends on you and from who you bought it from.

P.S. Congrats on your msf course

Your going to have breakdowns occasionally but that is all about owning a bike.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
There are pro's and con's on every manufacturer. Everyone has their opinion on the bike they like. Personally I love Honda. I think they are on of the best bikes made. They may not be the fastest of the bunch, but I never have had problems with them, and think they are very well made. I love the look of Yamaha, but everyone has them, and they have some problems with the tranny's(from what I understand). Friend has a GSXR, and is trying to sell it and buy a Honda after he compared both of our bikes. He is working on his 3rd motor in it. Like I said, pro's and con's. Check out all bikes before you decide, adn definitely don't rush into it. That is when you regret. Just tryin to help. Good luck and be safe.

http://www.bikerplanet.net

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Thanks for your opinions guys, that information is very usefull, would buying a brand new bike be a better idea, or should I just be carefull with the bike I choose.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:20 PM

Have a hair over 50,000 on a '97 Yamaha YZF600r & so far it has cost me fuel, oil, tyres, chains, spark plugs, brake pads, brake fluid & only thing out of the ordinary was a starting gear. Otherwise it has run like a charm---mind you I do not do wheelies or stoppies otherwise I would have a massive list of parts that had to be replace & probably had to replace the bike around '98 or '99. Of interrest the bike still has the original f/fork seals & scrapers Oh & for your interest I still use the stock exhast system.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:34 PM

You could go new or you could go 'used' if you knew what to look for in wear or damage OR had someone else that could help you out.
Have bought a lot of 'used' & new bikes for ages. Last used was a '91 Suzy GSXR-750 Suzuki in '95 & put some work to it like, proper tyres, sprockets (which I forgot to mention in my prior post), chain, spark plugs, Kevlar f/brake lines, & some orginal matching paint of the white & two blues at the lower part of the fairing at the front as it was chipped from road cramp, sand, etc. Which is normal.
Sold in in '00 for 5 grand, with original battery still working well, & that is 1 thou over my original cost in '95 yet bike looked & was far better then when I bought it as I knew what to do to it plus a good buy in the lst place.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by duessel
There are pro's and con's on every manufacturer. Everyone has their opinion on the bike they like. Personally I love Honda. I think they are on of the best bikes made. They may not be the fastest of the bunch, but I never have had problems with them, and think they are very well made. I love the look of Yamaha, but everyone has them, and they have some problems with the tranny's(from what I understand). Friend has a GSXR, and is trying to sell it and buy a Honda after he compared both of our bikes. He is working on his 3rd motor in it. Like I said, pro's and con's. Check out all bikes before you decide, adn definitely don't rush into it. That is when you regret. Just tryin to help. Good luck and be safe.
Standups all the time=more motors
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 07:48 AM

not to be a downer on this subject, but have you tried the gsxr, I sold mine after 2 weeks cause it was way to uncomftable for me, I'm 6'3'' 225lbs. if you fit on it and its a good deal go for it after checking it out, if not there are many other better bikes to begin on, I personally would like to but a sv650 in the future. then again I also want a honda 954
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, actually I've tried the GSXR's and the Yamaha R6 and R1, those are the most comfortable to me, I am 6'0" at 180, although, I havn't taken them for long rides so I can't predict how it will feel after 3 hours. One more thing, will a bike with a few upgrades be higer maintenance? (Nothing incredible, just some polished parts, full exhaust, etc...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 08:26 AM

the polished parts will need to be taken care of every week, and you should have a garage to keep the bike in. any modification to a bike with the exception of cosmetics and maybe an exhaust system will effect the life of your bike. plus if a bike has been upgraded that much you gotta ask yourself why? the bike may have been gunned around alot, or wheelied to death, check out out with a mechanic before buying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode