I got my first bike!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

I got my first bike!!!

Well today I went and got my permit but yesturday is the killer.

I went by a bike dealership to check out the bikes and I was just basically looking around. Then one of the salesmen asked me if I was interested in a particular bike so I told him I was just looking around and I wasn't really sure if I was in the market to buy a bike or not.

He was showing me a few bikes and I was quite impressed with the inventory, but then instead of telling me how much I was willing to spend, or what bike was the most expensive, he asked me, "How many bikes have you owned before now?" I told him, "None, I'm a new rider."

He was like "Oh, well I have the perfect bike for you."

He led me to a 2002, 0 miles, Suzuki SV650S with the full fairing kit, and boy oh boy was I in love with this bike.

He let me ride it up and down the parking lot a bit and he told me that even though it's a twin, it has a respectable powerband but the powerband is also very steady so i don't have to keep my eyes on the rpm gauge and it's easier to control. He also told me that it has softer suspension than the inline 4 600's.

I didn't know if my credit would do me any justice but I said it anyway... "Do you think I can get this bike, 0 down?" He was like, "If the number's match, I'll throw the under fairing in for free with a helmet and gloves."

Needless to say I went in, my credit came up really great and I got approved for 100% financing, 0 down.

the bike's silver and I'll have pics of it up soon but I have to wait for the under fairing to come in because the one they had that did have the lower fairing had a broken shifter but in any case... I'm glad I got the bike, it handles really well but I'm parking it until I take my MSF next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 10:25 AM

Thumbs up

Congrats!!!! You got a great bike and definitely great to start on. Good to see some common sense on here!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm glad I got the bike, it handles really well but I'm parking it until I take my MSF next week.
Sonny,
You are a smart guy! Very good choice on the bike, hat's off to the salesman for steering you correctly.

Enjoy the new bike and keep those MSF lessons in your mind at all times. After a few months, try a track school!

Enjoy!

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 11:22 AM

congratulations

So what did they charge for the bike if you don't mind me asking?

Oh as for the part about storing the bike until you take the MSF course, well, I would try to familiarize myself with the bike. DO NOT take it out on the public streets. If there is a large parking lot nearby, have a friend who ride take you there and give you a few pointers. This will help.
I did this and those parking lot experience will help me when I take the MSF test. I've learned to do figure 8s, turns, stopping, and starting.
good luck.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 04:57 PM

A sensible salesman & a sensible lst time rider. Congratulations for you have a darn good bike.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:15 PM

That's awesome man I started last year, biking is incredible and it sounds like you found a good dealer to deal with.

I don't wanna look like the dick here... and I'm just learning too, but I'd pull off that lower fairing and stuff for the first while... It's soooo easy to park it wrong, or do a u-turn wrong. Throw it back on after a few 1000 miles and you'll have a like-new learners bike again
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 07:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
A sensible salesman & a sensible lst time rider. Congratulations for you have a darn good bike.
no kidding. it kinda restores my faith that some dealers are in this for the long-haul.

you got one awesome bike!!! for real!!!

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys.

I did what you said... Coz my g/f has a condo in this little condo area where there's not much traffic. I rode it around there a couple of times. Her friends seem to be rather impressed with the bike.

And I did take off the lower fairing, coz I already almost laid her down.

My first MSF class is tomorrow, wish me luck!

You guys are right about the dealership, they really didn't seem to be in it for the money or to throw me on a bigger bike.

My friend on the other hand is learning on a 2002 Suzuki TL1000R. God that bike is beautiful, but man I told him he made a mistake getting it as a first bike...

The sticker price on the bike was 6300 with everything. It came up to 9000 even over 5 year financing, but I'm gonna pay it off sooner. The helmet and gloves came in free but I'm gonna buy proper gear as soon as I finish the MSF. Ebay here I come!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:25 PM

let me know how you like your SV! Hoping to get mine by this winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode