Shifting Through The Gears? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Question Shifting Through The Gears?

I'm a newbie, so bare with me please... I know that neutral lies between 1st and 2nd gear. When in neutral, you must downshift to get in 1st and then upshift to cycle through the rest of the gears. My question is if you are downshifting and are in 2nd and want to go to 1st, does the bike go to neutral before 1st. My other question is if you are in 1st and want to get in neutral do you downshift or upshift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
bikes don't go into neutral that easy. it'll kinda skips over neutral when going, unless you pussy foot it.

when stopped in a sceond, a light downward motion on the lever, or in first a light upward motion will find you neutral.

it sounds difficult, it's not. finding neutral can be at times. kawasaki's have a positive neutral finder. i think some newbies find it useful. i don't really like it myself. but i think clocks, gas guages and crap like that is unnecessary.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:38 AM

I agree with FZR400Tony, most bikes skip through neutral quite easily and this can make finding neutral rather difficult. I find the easiest way to get into neutral on most bikes is to lightly press down on the shift lever from second while the bike is rolling. It's much harder to find neutral once you have stopped, unless you ride a Kawasaki.

If you find yourself in neutral when upshifting into second gear you should concentrate on making a firmer upshift and/or adjust the shift lever down a bit.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:39 AM

You just do it. I'm not totally sure I can remember what I do, it's that automatic.

What I think I do is down into first and then just give it a firm hoof up to get it to go into second and ignore neutral. I think once you are moving then neutral kind of disappears anyway and the box will try to move from first to second anyway.

If you are in first and want to move back to neutral then just upshift gently until the neutral light comes on.

If you are in second and have come to a stop then just ease down on the shift until the neutral light comes on. Again I think if the bike isn't moving the shift will want to find neutral from second anyway - if you are moving it will try to find first.

To be honest I don't think I ever shift from second to first anyway. First is generally for moving off and not much else (other than launching wheelies) so if you are already moving second (with some clutch control) is probably where you want to be anyway. If you stop then almost immediately want to be off again (such as at a red light that immediately changes - doh!) then just tap the lever down twice to be sure.

Just get hold of a bike and try it - I think you are worrying unnecessarily. If biking is for you then you'll master it in about 5 minutes flat. Or less
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:53 PM

Good advise up above. Remember if the bike is NEW then the gearbox is going to require constant use, like the engine, of breaking in.
I have a '97 Yamaha YZF600r with a beautifully smooth cog box also with a '00 Honda 929 that is still a bit clunky.
Basically at stop signs I will go down to 2nd to help in slowing down & then through to 1st, but at an almost nil speed to avoid the slighty rough part. Often through I want to SLIP into neutral (at a red light) & as others say I just go down to 2nd & with a gentle touch it is in NEUTRAL. I never have to look down at the idiot light to know if I am in neutral as I can FEEL is slip in---if by accident I pressed through to lst it is simply a gentle touch up & I again can FEEL it slip into neutral.
This shifting system, on a m/c immediately after WWII to even some pre-War bikes on many of the Brit irons, is what they should have had on cars when they were introducing the auto-tranny bit & note the top rally cars are using the same as we do on m/cs ---- they are not selecting or shifting into exact gears, but tapping forward & back for higher & lower cogs!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 08:32 PM

Or, if you wanna cheat about it, Kawasaki Ninjas come with this thing called Positive Neutral Finder, in which if your bike is at a standstill, you can just push up from first and it'll automatically stop in neutral. It's actually quite handy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 10:11 AM

neutral is basically a half shift up from 1st or a half shift down from 2nd.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 10:40 AM

On most every bike I have ridden it is easier to get through the gears while the bike is in motion as opposed to comming to a stop and then trying to put it in neutral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode