Shift up without using clutch? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Question Shift up without using clutch?

wasaB guyz,

i read somewhere that to shift up, just roll off the throttle, shift up then give gas again. so clutch only needs to to used when shifting down.

is this true? wouldnt this mess up the transmission?

thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 04:44 PM

True, but I tend to tap my clutch lever just as I shift & in that way I do NOT loose any power/speed when shifting!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 07:31 PM

I do upshifts using one finger to pull the clutch. I'm probably pulling it in less than a centimetre, and it gives a nice quick change that isn't clunky in anyway.
I don't think clutchless upshifts will kill your tranny if you're doing them right. I do them every now and then, but I prefer the smoothness of just a little bit of clutch.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i always use clutchless upshift when racing and the rare cases i'm really flyin' on the street.

the box in my gsxr is still together (which is rare, early 2000 750).

when flyin', it works well. at street speeds it doesn't.

just so you know, you really want to have pressure on the shift lever as you're rollin' off the gas. it works better. when it goes up, give it gas.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 06:26 PM

after reading the posts here, i decided to try this clutchless shifting and it's pretty cool. i have found some of the times when to and when not to use it though. if i'm in traffic or just behind some slow cage driver then i use the clutch. part to mid throttle running it up works great without clutch but full throttle is easier done with clutch. i have run into one problem... when clutchless from fifth to sixth gear ... it sometimes won't seat all the way in gear which gives me a "not so nice" neutral rev way up then clicks back in gear when the revs drop. i guess everyone just has to figure out what works best for them. thanks for the posts guys

chris
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 05:56 PM

on the street i use the clutch (most of the time) but on the track i dont use the clutch to upshift or down shift, down shifting without using the clutch takes some practice, pump the gas once or twice to keep the rpm's up and drop it down a gear. (not recommended for new riders)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:23 AM

Shifting up or down without the clutch puts stress on all moving parts of the tranny and makes the plates wear grooves into the fingers of the clutch basket. Your slowly killing your tranny.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:58 AM

Guys,

I only use the clutch to start out in 1st gear, after that its all "clutchless" shifting. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd...etc....and usually sit up(no hands) and hold the rear brake then downshift from 4th or whatever(no clutch). Ah, the lazy man's way!

And when I'm riding with my left arm across the tank, I shift without using the clutch then too.

I have an R6 and I've been doing this since 1999 and haven't had any tranny issues.

Goose
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 03:04 AM

I've grenaded two clutch baskets from clutchless shifts. My 94 CR 125, Hinson basket broke during a race. And my old ZX7 too many clutchless shifts on wheelies. The plates wear grooves into the basket fingers. They eventualy get deep, the clutch then has a sticking problem. The basket slowly gets weaker till the fingers snap off. But hey, your bike is your bike. Ride it like you see fit. I beat my RR harder than most people treat a wounded horse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode