Half Helmet for Beginner or Full Face? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Question Half Helmet for Beginner or Full Face?

I would imagine that there are a lot of different opinions on helmets. But my question is this. For increased visibility would you recommend that a beginner use a half helmet as oppossed to a full face? I have yet to try on a full face helmet, but I would imagine that a half helmet would have a wider range of visibility, thus making a beginner feel more comfortable. Any truth in that. Opinions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 11:11 AM

Re: Half Helmet for Beginner or Full Face?

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
I would imagine that there are a lot of different opinions on helmets. But my question is this. For increased visibility would you recommend that a beginner use a half helmet as oppossed to a full face? I have yet to try on a full face helmet, but I would imagine that a half helmet would have a wider range of visibility, thus making a beginner feel more comfortable. Any truth in that. Opinions? Thanks
Hello friends
I would 100% wear a full face, and more so for a beginner cause the odds of a mishap will be greater due to experience. so go for the protection.
Later all and stay safe
Michael Hansen
Laporte Tx usa
88 v-max
02 fz1 blue
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 11:24 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
All of the full face helmets I have tried on did not obstruct my vision in any way. I agree with michael, I would recommend a full face for everyone, regardless of experience level. If you put on a helmet that blocks your field of vision, chances are you have it on wrong (example: sideways or backwards)

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 11:27 AM

Re: Half Helmet for Beginner or Full Face?

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
no less visibility.

But on a more serious note...you'd never see a sportbiker wearing a half helmet Cept maybe on a sport tourer...

(no insult intended to those who do!!!)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I personally like the look of the full face to the half helmet so I am pleased with your opinions. As I had stated early I haven't tried on any yet, so I wasn't sure about vision. But looking at some helmets on different web sites, it would appear that your peripheral vision would be blocked. This is not the case, granted you have it on correctly as Spicersh suggests? Thanks for that suggestion by the way!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 02:48 PM

With a half helmet one will also need a set of goggles & would really suffer when up to a decent speed.
In the days of Cromwell or other 'pudding basin' helmets at 100 to 115mph the wind was really taking its toll on the facial skin.
Besides who wants a bug (or more) to SMACK into the flesh, it is a jolt wen some hit the visor or other part of the full face helmet----what a mess even at normal hwy speeds.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 02:50 PM

I would say that it kinda depends on how much you like your face... I wouldn't have one today if not for the protection of a full-faced helmet.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 07:59 PM

You do lose a few degrees of peripheral vision with a full face but not that much. Statistics have shown that a very miniscule amount of accidents occur in that area.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 10:32 PM

I've never noticed any loss of peripheral vision with my helmet. But, for a common sence way of making the decision between a full face and a half helmet, go to a mirror, look at your face, and ask yourself how long you want it to stay that pretty....theres your answer
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 01:19 AM

A friend bought her 1st bike & an open face helmet. I encouraged her to take it back & get a full face because she is so new to riding. Fortunately she did & a couple of weeks later when she went down in a corner on Hwy 1 the full face took a terrible beating right where her jaw would have been dragging on the pavement instead of her face.
Now if I had only been able to talk to her about buying a smaller bike to start out on instead of that 1200cc sportster but that is a whole different topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode