Probably the dumbest question, Gas? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Question Probably the dumbest question, Gas?

I'm obviously a newbie to riding, and motorcycles in general, so please forgive the idiotic question. I inherited a '95 Suzuki RF600R, with no owner's manual. Well yesterday I was taking my first lesson, (given by friend), and we ran out of gas. There is no place on the bike that says what octane it requires. Can someone help a total idiot?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 06:49 AM

this is a huge debate that you really don't want to starte, heres the jist of what I've gotten from reading, motorcycles have high compression so its best to use atleast middle grade, if your bike starts pinging, which it may bepending on the temperature and altitude, then switch up to premium gas, I always use premium just because I believe its a cleaner gas, and I only use amacco or chevron. you may want to wait for a few more posts before making a decision.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 06:50 AM

this is a huge debate that you really don't want to start, heres the jist of what I've gotten from reading, motorcycles have high compression so its best to use atleast middle grade, if your bike starts pinging, which it may bepending on the temperature and altitude, then switch up to premium gas, I always use premium just because I believe its a cleaner gas, and I only use amacco or chevron. you may want to wait for a few more posts before making a decision.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 10:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
use 87, see if it pings. it probably won't.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 10:39 AM

Question Gas

I would use nothing lower than 89 octane. Technically you can check for pinging and all that but here is the kicker. The bike should run fine on regular unleaded as opposed to super unleaded. The price is what most people look at. From dry, it should only cost somewhere near $8 to fill up the gas tank on super as opposed to $7 for regular unleaded. Might as well kick down for the "better" stuff. Couldn't hurt and definetely shouldn't break the bank.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 10:43 AM

Call suzuki, run what the OEM recommends. Unless the bike is modified or pings for some reason, higher octane gas than what is recommended is a waste of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode