Learning to ride quickly... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Cool Learning to ride quickly...

Hi. I just wanted to get some feeback from the more experienced riders. Well, let me begin by saying that I'm a new rider. I got myself a CBR F4i a couple of months back.

Now I'm riding with moderate comfort and ease. Let me say that I have not taken the MSF course (but will be in the upcoming month or so). My several hours of learning was at a large parking lot. with a friend that used to ride. Here I learned to accelerate from a stop, braking, making turns, doing figure 8s, using the signals, and starting on a slight incline. Now, is there anything else that I should learn? Please advise.

Well as the parking lot experience got a little dull, I decided to hit the streets. My bike was also getting pretty hot (around 230 degrees) cause of my parking lot riding, so I figured why not hit the quiet street and go to a nearby park.

I must say that I got the hang of the bike pretty quickly. Going through the gears and upshifting and downshifting was a little 'choppy'( for lack of a better word) but I showly got to learn to shift smoothly as the day progressed.

The next day, I took the bike out for a long 1.5 hour ride by relatively quiet roads. The roads here in central NJ (Hillsborough) are actually quite good for newbies. except for some slight road constructions.

Yes, I know that it isn't the smartest thing to hit the streets after a couple of days parking lot practice. But I did it and do not regret it. Am I a squid for doing so? Call me what you want but I think it was good that I got to ride around with traffic cause it does prove an invaluable lesson with other cars.

It is nice to ride along and see other motorcyclist on the street but what I admire is the response back from all motorcyclist when I acknowledge by (lifting my left hand in a wave type gesture). It is really cool to at least say hello to all riders. As a newbie, I didn't about this so after riding by about a dozen riders, I have learned to acknowledge their presence.

Well, for those of you who are more experience, let me know what you think of what I did over my weekend. And for those of you in the Central NJ area that would mind teaching a new guy a few trick of the trade, please contact me.
Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 06:16 AM

Cool Everyone learns at their own pace.

There is no set rulebook on what you should be able to do by day two. I know a guy that just purchased a GSX-R1000 for his FIRST motorcycle ever, and can already carry a mile long wheelie. I also know a guy that has been riding for 3 years on smaller streetbikes, and he could still drop the thing at any given time Riding a motorcyle requires a certain amount of natural ability. Some are blessed with a lions share of this talent...and some have trouble putting one foot in front of the other to cross the street. I think it is great that you are making good progress. You are the only one who can be sure of yourself and your comfort zone. Ride safe; wear your gear; and practice...practice...practice
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 06:21 AM

Wink RIDE

yea, I totally agree. You need to practice, practice, practice. I now have 13,000miles on a 2001 F4i so don't think that you'll learn it over the course of a week. Nor do i think you'll learn it over the course of 13,000 miles. You just need to pace yourself when you head out and figure out how much you want to do everytime you head out. Maybe for this run it'll be straight cruising.. maybe that time it'll be leaning and turning... and then maybe the next time down the road it'll be stopping and starting. Just put yourself in every situation you'll come to encounter and when it does happen you won't trip! Happy Riding!!!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 06:51 AM

great book on riding

I'm a relatively new rider as well. I was at the library and found a great book on riding - "The art of proficient motorcycling". A lot of people recommend "Twist of the wrist" as well. I found "proficient" to be a fantastic book. "Twist" was a bit more technical and I wasn't too impressed.

Take a ride to the library and check out these books - GREAT info that you can use for everyday riding, and "Proficient" is an easy read.

Have fun!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 07:17 AM

Yeah like what the other said. No set amount of time to become a good rider. But saddle time and natural talent helps.

Like basketball, not everybody will be like Mike even if they practiced 23 hrs a day.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 07:33 AM

Talking NO Fear needed!

Riding a bike is like....well....riding a bike, once you learn you'll never forget. And no matter how long it takes you to learn it'll be the same. I've only been riding my '88 CBR600 for a month now and even as my first bike I'm already bored and want something bigger and better. I've learnt a couple of tricks to riding from a couple of buddies but the rest, even wheelies now, I taught my self. Just take it easy and don't be scared to try new things as long as your comfortable doing so. And parking lots are not the best way to learn, hit the road and watch out for car drivers that's your worst enemy .
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 04:56 AM

sorry to bumped into someone topic - but is there a way i can learn quick i mean quick - just to get my bike back to my house - like 15+ blocks of straight road with couple stop lights. and i don't know anything about using a bike - this might sound lame but i was goign to ask the seller where is the break and gas. lol but i didn't - you guys think its alright for him to show me how to use it? or is it a long process
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 05:11 AM

Push it back. You'll be home safely in no time at all.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 06:49 AM
Dad

Re: great book on riding

Quote:
Originally posted by hpcbmw
I'm a relatively new rider as well. I was at the library and found a great book on riding - "The art of proficient motorcycling". A lot of people recommend "Twist of the wrist" as well. I found "proficient" to be a fantastic book. "Twist" was a bit more technical and I wasn't too impressed.
You're right. And the better book for new street riders would be one that discusses the hazards of road riding. Things like lane placement, safety gear, rain riding, dealing with animals, you go where you look, don't tailgate, anticipating situations, etc. etc. Those are the survival skills that will serve you best on the road. A good place to get a primer on this is the MSF course and then continue that with additional reading and conversation with fellow riders.

Twist is a book that works strictly on handling and faster riding techniques. Those have a place in your package of riding skills and can help in many road situations but anticipating and avoiding situations is probably your best first line of defense. The biggest thing is to NEVER ride over your head, no matter what skill level you have achieved. If you're scaring yourself, you're going too fast and the simplest of maneuvers can't be executed properly and even worse, your reflexes are VERY likely to select the WRONG maneuver. Before you start trying to corner carve at much more than posted speed limits, a book like Twist of the Wrist II would be highly recommended. JMO, hope it helps.

BTW, fast riding is 99% technique and 1% balls. Study the books, go to some track schools if you can, and then keep working on technique. NEVER work on speed. As your technique gets better, the speed takes care of itself. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 01-29-2003 at 07:10 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 07:16 AM

Dad came up with a good one & that was to NOT tailgate. How you learn to ride is your own doing, but something I have noted ESPECIALLY amongst many sportbike riders be they with each other or with normal cage traffic IS they tend to ride to close to the vehicles in front of them. There have been MANY incidents of where fellow riders have slammed into the rear end of other riders be they friends or simply another m/cist that might not even know them.
To not know where the foot & hand controls are or other things like the fuze box & what it contains, the tool bag, etc., is sort of like giving a child a loaded semi auto with the gun fully racked & no safety on & feeling nothing will come of it.
No matter what I touch I will study it lst & know as much as I can before I start rolling, be it a piece exercise equipment in the gym, a cage I have never driven, a mountain I was thinking of climbing (in this case I have often studied it for some time), etc. This also goes for some new road in that I will ride on at a slower (probably the speed limit or a hair below in some cases) pace the first or possibly only time I will actually go over it.
I have taught a lot of friends how to ride & right from the start we took to the regular roads, but always headed to some back roads & in that way we could stop & talk about this & that in how to ride----you see in many cases there were no big shopping malls to practice on & we would not touch school grounds while school was on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode