how to back up when parked downhill? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Question how to back up when parked downhill?

hi all,

i have another noobie question.

how do i back up when i'm parked facing downhill?

i ask this cuz i once parked my ZX9 facing downhill and i had to back up to get out. man it was a bitXX to pull her back.
i know it was my fault not thinking of that when i parked, but anyway, is there any tricks or something to make it easier to pull her back? should i get a reverse gear?

thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 09:55 AM

do not park that way!!! Think.......if you do not have the bike in gear or it rolls any bit forward, it may push the stand up and down goes the bike.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 09:59 AM

Re: how to back up when parked downhill?

Quote:
Originally posted by beksa
hi all,

i have another noobie question.

how do i back up when i'm parked facing downhill?

i ask this cuz i once parked my ZX9 facing downhill and i had to back up to get out. man it was a bitXX to pull her back.
i know it was my fault not thinking of that when i parked, but anyway, is there any tricks or something to make it easier to pull her back? should i get a reverse gear?

thanx.
Should you find your self in this position, back it up while standing next to the bike. Just go slowly.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 10:30 AM

Also, you should park with your back wheel at the curb and front facing at an angle toward the center of the street. Then you will be able to just pull out forward.

Do be careful of gravity on hills. Bikes can more easily fall over if they're not leaning hard on the stand or they can roll on hills. This is especially true if someone bumps the bike while parked (even a pedestrian).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:11 PM

Ya you should try and make sure you don't get yourself in that position much. If its real steep though and you're having trouble just pushing back you compressing the front forks while holding the brake and then bounce up a bit and let go of the brake. That'll help give you a bit of a push but doesn't get you all that far. No matter what backing up a hill is a pain.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the reply guys.

i guess it's best not to park on hills. hehe.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 06:42 PM

How to back up on hill

Because I have a hard time moving my bike I try to be very careful of where I park it, so that if I do have to back up, I have plenty of room to do it in. I usually leave my kickstand up when I move it, just in case it starts to lean my way too much, the kickstand can catch it, I put one hand on the rear seat and the other on the handle bar and brace myself and VERY CAREFULLY back her up!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 12:02 PM

my ST1100 weighs something like 700lbs, almost as much as the full dress kaw voyager, unfortunately Honda didn't put in any reverse on it or the new 1300, I live in a hilly part of the country and it is a chore to get out of my driveway sometimes,

I am alot more conscious of how I park now, even parking spaces with moderate inclines, also I try to avoid parking on sand, grass, or gravel, no matter how firm it may seem, and if I must I will try to inspect it first,

traffic permitting you can use inclines to your advantage, and drive past where you want to park and back in, instead of heading in and then not being able to back out because gravity is working against you and the engine is only capable of propelling the bike forwards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode