Is this common? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Question Is this common?

I am a new rider; bought my first bike in June and so far have logged just under 4000 miles. I ride nearly every day and have done trips up to 300miles. My question is this; most days I feel really good on the bike but some days, like yesterday, I never feel "settled". I get nervous at speeds and doing turns that I do normally every day, for no reason. It is really bugging me and it feels like I take a step backwards in my skill level. Is this a typical thing for new riders to experience?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:36 AM

I've been riding for well over 20 years. There still are times when I don't fell comfortable at speed, like in a pool game everyone has there off days. Anything can cause it, your mental state, tired, hungry, maybe it's a sixth sense. All I do is back off, there will be a better day.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:46 AM

I get like that somedays and for me the best thing to do is just park the bike and ride another day.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:29 AM

Sixth Sense...

Sounds like you're experiencing that little voice telling you to slow it down and take it easy. Trust me, you should listen to the little voice and slow down a tad (for me, I've been known to head back home rather than ride in an uncomfortable state).

The main thing to remember is that what you're feeling isn't that uncommon, even for riders with decades of experience. Such feelings have nothing to do with your skills as a rider (or in your case, with your gaining riding skill).

Good luck to you
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:36 AM

Listen to the mojo! If things don't feel right, bring the bike home and live to ride another day.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:51 PM

Happens to everyone (Been riding 29 years). When you get that feeling, take it a little slower than usual and you'll be fine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I feel a lot better about that now.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 04:08 PM

So now you know this is normal. I believe Northwind was lst to take the pressure off you.
For me it is over 50 solid yrs of riding along with 42 yrs of comp & believe me it was the same in comp as simply riding on the road. OFF days & ON days plus that small voice inside giving out warnings.
M/cing is like any sport (after all you must BALANCE a m/c---a feat in itself that no cage rider must face each day) in that you have days you could not be better & days you were simply AWFUL & YOU knew it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 11:38 AM

I've got almost a year riding in now, and I remember the first real "Wow, I just don't feel right today." ride. IT was on a very twisty road outside Phoenix. I had ridden the road twice in a row with that feeling that everything was running smooth on all cylinders. So I figure that's the way it should always be, right? WRONG! By the time I had gone through the 3rd turn, with my heart in my throat, I was thinking WTF? Every turn, every shift, was a chore. I just throttled back and chilled out the rest of the ride. Maybe I was hungry. Maybe I was tired. Maybe I was thirsty? I don't know.

But I've gotten better at being aware of how I feel when I get on the bike. I'm learning how to listen to my body and mind. Not so aware as Smitty or Kneeslider951, though I hope to get 25-50 yrs of good riding in before I leave this mortal coil, but at least aware. Sounds rather Zen-like, but if the toe slider fits....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 02:50 PM

learned this when i was young and still follow it to this day: go with your first INSTINCT. if your mind says 'ease up', then slow down.

i enjoy riding too much and there are always times at everything i do when i'm not confident. i ride hard or dangerously only when i'm ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode