Benefits of buying new??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Benefits of buying new???

After reading a lot on this board and in magazines I haven't seen concrete evidence for buying a bike new. Sure you get a virgin bike and get to break it in, and sure you are covered by the initial warranty but is the extra cash worth it? I am not looking to finance. I have cash in hand and want a good bike.

I have been looking at the used bikes around here (and if anyone has any suggestions about where to look for used bikes that would be very nice) and I found a 2002 Kawi ZX-6R with 2800 miles for a little less then $6k. The bike looks to be in perfect condition and is almost $2 grand less then a new bike. Am I foolish for considering this over a new bike?

Can a person really screw up a bike in the first couple thousand miles that won't easily be detectable? In the case above even if the person has damaged the bike a little, it couldn't be $2 grand worth of damage!

Opinions would be awesome,

OnyxWulf

ps. I live in Cali San Fran area and would again express my need of finding good places to look for a used bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:30 AM

My opinion:

Used bikes in good shape are always a better deal as someone else has already paid for the initial big depreciation. Problem is, unless you know what you are doing, it can be hard to tell if the bike is in good shape just by looking at it. Ask for maintenance receipts and if you can, get an experienced mechanic to look at it for you. You can sometimes tell a whole lot about the bike by looking at the owner's other possesions. If they drive a piece of crap car and live in a trashy home, you can bet the bike has not been treated well. Beware of perfect looking bikes that have been raced. Racing isn't the best thing for longevity. Look for signs of safety wiring on the bike and, say, obvious stuff like leathers hanging in the garage with numbers on them. When looking for a used bike, most times a 100% stock bike is better than one that has been modified. I would avoid bikes with custom paint, polished frames and loud pipes.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. I will definetely keep in mind the racing part. Also I gathered from your post to use common sense when buying a used bike, and if it doesn't feel right then don't do it.

Thanks alot, didn't think about the racing aspect of a used bike.

Onyx

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:52 AM

I think the only advantage to buying new, besides getting a pristine machine of course, is having recourse with a dealer if something goes wrong. Buyer beware when purchasing a used bike. That being said, I have always bought used bikes because I knew exactly what bike I was looking for, and just waited until I found the deal I wanted. I also think sellers of used bikes are more willing to haggle. Somewhere I found an article about checking out used bikes, I try to hunt it down if you like. Couple of other things - I avoid buying bikes from younger riders (more prone to beating on a bike) and I am much more inclined to buy from someone who has all their service records and has done the maintenance.

Good luck.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:51 PM

For a lst time rider ------

------ a good 'used' bike is a sensible move.
As others point out look for signs of the bike being raced, crashed or used for foolish riding like stoppies & wheelies.
Obviouse this is when you hope to know a rider that can check out a bike for you.
If not, then the cost of having the bike checked out at a m/c shop, by a mechanic, is a good move.
An experienced rider can go either way on 'used' or new as so many of us have. Throughout the yrs or riding.
Besides right now is prime time to start looking around for a GOOD used bike at a proper price. So many going back to school, money problems, thinking of one of the NEW bikes to show up in the m/c mags, possibility of the bike to be put away for a few months of cold weather or owner needs money for a snowmobike!!!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stoinkythepig
You can sometimes tell a whole lot about the bike by looking at the owner's other possesions. If they drive a piece of crap car and live in a trashy home, you can bet the bike has not been treated well.
Come now, is that really fair?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 01:45 PM
elo

Arrow

Not always fair but definitely something I'd take into consideration.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

thx guys...

Thanks for the suggestions, anything else anyone?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 06:39 PM

the answer is simple there is none, look for a stock bike, and look at the tires, if they are chewed or brand new, also look carfully at the pegs and bar ends, are they scratched? like the others said try to find someone who has atleast another bike or has a car in really good condition. female owners rarely use a bike to its potential, usually they get them to cruise with there men.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 08:27 PM

Another source of good used bikes is the dealer's personal ride. Often the owner of the dealership and the sales manager ride new bikes on dealer plates for a few thousand miles. You can then buy it at used bike prices, but still get the full manufacturer's warranty. And some types of bikes tend to be purchased by perfectionists - you know which ones. They usually hold their value a looong time, though. Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode