Maybe a new way to look at your first bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Maybe a new way to look at your first bike

I'm new to this sport and don't even have a bike yet actually. Like almost every other cocky guy to start riding sportbikes I originally wanted to start on a 600cc machine. So I was thinking about all of this and a sort of comparison came to mind.

With new drivers, of cars that is, you don't just start on a 14 second Mustang. Most people, usually parents, are right in assuming that a V8 Mustang is just too much for somebody that has never driven a car before. Especially if the inexperience is coupled with being young. I know with my Mustang it was plenty fast to me when I first got it and if I didn't have a little restraint I could have gotten myself into a lot of trouble very quickly.

Now that I've modified the car to run mid 12's on slicks at 108mph I can say that that car will get you into even worse trouble, even quicker. It will do triple digit speeds in under 12 seconds and spin the tires in every gear even when the ground is dry.

Now taking this experience and thinking about which bike I want for my first mount, I was thinking that a bike that will run high 10's completely stock just might be overkill. So I guess thinking about it this way it's easier to accept that a brand new 600 isn't for most beginners.

I know from experience that a 12 second 1/4 mile is really fast. I can't imagine what a high 10 with no safety barrier except a skin of leather feels like. Probably quite a rush and I'm in no hurry to die.

Beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 07:05 AM

a good perspective!

Glad to see your thinking it through!

Good luck and welcome!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:41 AM

Your drag racing experience (hopefully at a strip) tells you just how fast modern sport bikes are even in stock tune. Most people (non or new riders) don't understand that 600cc and up bikes are faster than most cars.

Also bear in mind that motorcyclists rarely get into trouble on the street going in a straight line. It's the turns (sometimes at the end of straights) that are usually our undoing. Unless you get a bike only for the drag strip, taking it out on twisty roads or on a track is where the fun is. You can only pull so many G's going in a straight line. Cornering hard adds a whole new dimension of fun and ability to get things heading in the wrong direction.

*Disclaimer - leave the really spirited riding for the track. It's much safer than the street.*

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I agree that the turns are much more fun than just accelerating. Most of my racing is done at the track, but with so many uninformed newbies driving through the water box and dripping water all over the starting line takes a lot of the fun away. Seeing as how it's hard enough to launch that car without spinning on a dry surface.

Anyway, that comparison is enough to show me that a 600 is really quick and I probably shouldn't start out on something that fast.

Beau
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 01:12 PM

You are definately thinking in the correct manner.

If I were in you boots I would aim for a bike of around 500cc & no plastics & possibly a 'used' bike in good condition. A more upright riding position bike where the torque is good at lower revs.
Most riders have problems with their bikes in the lst yr, like accidently dropping them at next to nil speed, loosinging the f/wheel when banking at a SLOW turn with some sand, dirt under it, etc.
ALSO this lst bike is to learn how to stay UPRIGHT on two wheels against all the cage drivers that do NOT seem to realize you are balancing two wheels.
THEN I would aim for something new & with more power.
If you have the money I would keep the lst bike as a sort of back-up or for grunt runs around town.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 01:28 PM

Re: You are definately thinking in the correct manner.

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
If I were in you boots I would aim for a bike of around 500cc & no plastics & possibly a 'used' bike in good condition. A more upright riding position bike where the torque is good at lower revs.
Most riders have problems with their bikes in the lst yr, like accidently dropping them at next to nil speed, loosinging the f/wheel when banking at a SLOW turn with some sand, dirt under it, etc.
ALSO this lst bike is to learn how to stay UPRIGHT on two wheels against all the cage drivers that do NOT seem to realize you are balancing two wheels.
THEN I would aim for something new & with more power.
If you have the money I would keep the lst bike as a sort of back-up or for grunt runs around town.

You just described the GS500 perfectly. Sporty feel, enough power for highway use, and very low insurance premiums. Perfect bike for the new rider (like me).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I found a '96 GS500 with 8K miles at a local dealership for $2,000. Financially I could have purchased it but I'm trying to improve my debt/equity ratio. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a cheap used bike before I graduate in one year. If not, it's only one more year to wait and I've been waiting for about a year as it is.

For background info, I'm graduating from college with a finance degree in about a year and I'm 23. It's probably a very good thing that I couldn't afford a bike a couple years ago because I would have been cocky and bought more bike than I need. So being poor has some advantages.

Beau
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 04:26 PM

I don't have the income or credit for a bike but I convinced my Mom to co-sign for me when I found a good deal on a GS500.

With her backing I could afford anything I wanted but I figured out that starting on a brand new $10k bike probably wasn't the best idea even if I thought I could "handle" it. The insurance would not only have been more than the payments but the payments would be bad too

$2000 over 3 years isn't bad at all and I'll probably have the loan paid off a lot sooner than that. But I'm puting the $$$ tward my credit cards 1st.

Not only the financial but when I actually got out on the GS 500 I found out it's got plenty of oomph to be fun for quite some time. If I want better accelleration I can change the rear sproket for $26 and sacrifice a little top end. A full exuast for V&H is only $316. So upgrading it (and I love to tinker) is going to be a lot cheaper to.

I'm really excited about having a bike and I'm glad your getting in with the right attitude

My bike:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

If I didn't have a loan on my car right now I would have bought a bike awhile ago. Or if I didn't have close to 5k on my card I would also have already purchased the bike. I have enough credit to buy a brand new R1 but that would be dumb. Somehow I've managed to get more credit than I could ever be able to pay off. At least not until I graduate and get a real job.

Beau
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:58 PM

Black_Snowman that 500 is definately ----

---- a nice looking iron & simply IDEAL for a beginner to anyone wanting a bike for around town or short rides.
An IMPORTANT factor is your mother is/was willing to co-sign for the bike which means she agrees with the m/c idea while so many have parents saying NO & so the battle starts to where some even have a bike, but hidden at a friends home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode