A few newbie questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

A few newbie questions

Hi everybody,
I am new here, this is a great site
I recently got interested in Sport bikes. I am going to take the MSF course in the near future and then buy a bike, a used 600cc bike probably. what do you all think? I have a few questions:
what are the best bikes in terms of beggining bikes?
Which companies bikes are the most reliable?
How many years old bike should i start with?
Does the 600 cc sound too much?

I like the Honda CBR600...but I don't know the difference between the F4, 3, 2 etc. ???

If you can clarify these for me..that would be great.

I am already feeling at home here

hehe
Ashwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 04:31 PM

A 600 is probably the largest sport bike I would recomend to a begginer. The CBR series is a good bike. The difference between the "F" numbers is the development generation Honda tacked on the CBR's, F4(i) being the latest. I would recomend a F2 or 3, the 4 might be a little too much for a beginner, unless you have some dirtbike experinece. You might want to consider the Suzuki SV650, a excellent begginer bike, and it will keep you entertained after you have more experience. There is a popular racing class for SV's if thats somthing you espire to do somday. As far as reliability goes, any of the big names are great, 80K+ miles on any of the newer bikes isnt unusual, if you keep up on the maintence. The age of the bike would be in direct relation to your financial situation, I would try to get a newer one if possible, you will dump it sooner or latter. I've know guys with 30 years of experince that still dump their bikes, it happens. Well welcome to the wonderful world of sportbikes, enjoy the ride
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks for the reply squidhunter, good info. Yeah I am open to all considerations of what bike to get. Just curious: why did you recommend a 650cc(sv650) over a 600 CBRf2?? Is there something else that is considered like weight? Or is it just more beginner friendly?

I want to get a used CBR600 f2 or 3 and then after keeping it for 6 months-9 months and practicing buy a brand new 900cc bike (hell yea ). Any other info from anybody is appreciated.

Thanks
Ashwin

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 08:00 PM

The SV650 is a V-twin (2 cylinders in a 90 degree V orientation). The CBR600 is an inline 4 (4 cylinders in a line). The SV delivers its power (torque) fairly uniformly over its rev range which allows the rider to be less concerned about engine speed/what gear you're in. The SV is also quite light and handles very well especially with the right tires and suspension set-up. Most inline 4's deliver their peak power closer to the top end of the engine rev range (near redline). Consequently, riders usually have to pay more attention to keeping the revs up (being in the right gear).

An SV actually develops about 68 hp stock while a CBR600 F4i develops closer to 100 hp I believe. The F3 and F2 weren't quite as hot (but still enough to get someone in trouble).

For a lot more info on first bikes, do a search on "first bike" on this forum.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 09:41 PM

Re: A few newbie questions

Quote:
Originally posted by FutureBiker
Hi everybody,
I am new here, this is a great site
I recently got interested in Sport bikes. I am already feeling at home here

hehe
Ashwin
Welcome to SBW. Be sure to let us know what bike you settle on. The answers you have already received are right on the mark & I can't really add to them. Happy two wheeling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode