no experience, how do i get it? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

no experience, how do i get it?

I'm curious.... Is the MSF course a place to start with 0 experience? Where else would I get experience? Someone who rides already, another class or course?

I also heard that people who take the MSF with zero experience have a chance of not completing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:49 PM

MSF is the best place to start
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

So basically, they will teach me from ground zero, no experience? All I need is gloves and some cookies?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:55 PM

they will teach you from ground zero, all you need is the motorcycle gear and be willing to learn. After you have some riding time they have a advanced course, it's worth taking
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:03 PM

Show up with long sleeve shirt or jacket, boots that cover your ankles, gloves, and a good attitude. That's all you need. They provide helmets and motorcycles. If you have your own helmet bring it.

They teach you EVERYTHING, if you don't pass you either have no business on a motorcycle or didn't listen very well or try in the least. It is set up for you to succeed. They gain nothing by you failing and have no reason to fail you unless you MAKE them.

It's also a BLAST if you've never ridden.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:05 PM

Do your MSF, then get a bike you can afford to lay down and ride it everywhere!!!.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys. I guess I'll just go take the MSF and try my best.

Any advice?

Oh and anyone located in San Diego? Coz I'm having trouble finding an opening to take it.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:34 PM

Different One,

As everyone was recommending, the MSF is the place to start.
I never rode a motorcycle 'til the 2nd day at the MSF course. I figured the course would either reaffirm my desire to ride a bike or not. The instructors are confidence inspiring and do an excellent job instructing. Ultimately, you will have to pass a road and written exam when all is complete with the 21/2 day course. Trying to pass the road test on Sun. while all the instructors and students are watching can be some what nerve racking, but just do your best and all will run its course. I was lucky to have passed the first time. If you do pass the MSF course, you'll be given a certificate for waiver of the riding exam at the DMV. You still will need to pass the written motorcylce exam at the DMV. Have fun and enjoy getting up REAL early Sat. and Sun. morning. I'm glad that you had the good sense to at least entertain the idea of taking the MSF course.

Good luck!

p.s. Also, there's a practial reason for taking the MSF course: can be a discount criteria for insurance companies.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 03:28 AM

This may seem like a silly question...

...but what does MSF stand for?

I'm in the UK and we have mandatory bike tests and training before you can go on the road...now.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 03:33 AM

Actually...

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
...if you don't pass you either have no business on a motorcycle or didn't listen very well or try in the least...
Not always true. My buddy dint pass his first time in the class (got nervous and there was a light rain), but he came back the next class (free re-test) and passed with flying colors. This may or may not be to the generous offer of letting him do some practice on my FJ (was I nervous? ya betcha...did he do good? ya betcha with a little coaching - helmet radios make that a cinch btw!).

So if you don't pass the first time - DON'T PANIC. Just think about what went wrong - try not to beat yourself up about it (too badly anyway ) and get back on that iron horse! Good luck bro!

BTW - def get yerself a nice used bike for your first. You sure don't want to learn how easily plastic scratches with your shiny new super-fast-whizbang!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode