rain - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

rain

can it be hard to see when its raining hard? cuz there aint any wind shield whippers on ur helm... and do you ever need to pull off the raod and wait for it to clear up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 05:45 PM

Thumbs down

Rain sucks....especially when it's unexpected. It was a sunday morning, beautiful blue skies....so i go out and wash and wax the bike. I figured, well since i just washed the bike... why not go for a nice ride to the beach....one hour during the ride....damn, all of a sudden the skies turn gray and im caught in the rain.......i do mean heavy downpour. I pull over a gas station and wait to see if it clears but to my luck it just keeps on pouring....so i said f$%k it and head home ....all drenched and hard as f$%k to see when riding. To make long story short Rain sucks!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 06:33 PM

Rain is a Pain in da Ass!!.. Good rain gear helps alot, lets you concentrate on the road a little bit more.
I've never pulled off the road when it was raining, even once thru a brief Hail Storm
I did try using a wax polish on my visor, this helped a little with water runoff, but it wasn't an amazing difference.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:56 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
The thing I've noticed is that the rain itself isn't too bad. It's obviously a little slicker, but that can be dealt with. The problem I have is when other cars are present. The rain runs off of your helmet nicely, but the fine mist or spray thrown up by other motorists tires is what sticks to the visor. I just use my hand as needed as a wiper, but I wish there were an easier way, other than not riding.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:33 PM

Back when I lived where it rained I did see a sqeegee*sp* that fit over the four fingers (blade on knuckle side) sold in some motorcycle stealerships. I never bought one. Try a Rainex or any water beading type product to help. What I used to do was just turn my head to the side for a qwick second and let the wind just blow the water off. It only seemed to collect right in the center of my visor. Anyway; the rain does suck!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 04:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to superd
Lightbulb Re: rain

Quote:
Originally posted by speedmachine
can it be hard to see when its raining hard? cuz there aint any wind shield whippers on ur helm... and do you ever need to pull off the raod and wait for it to clear up?
The faster you go, the easier it is to see. I hope this helps.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:18 AM
elo

Arrow

The worst problem I have in rain is that my helmet fogs up.

I would imagine that if you ride in rain considerably then something like Rain-X for car windshields would work for visors also. It's a light wax coating designed to help the raindrops congeal and move off the windscreen quicker. Just speculation though, I avoid riding in the rain.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
erica,

fogging is the biggest issue i can think of when riding in the rain. what i do i carry duct tape with me. when it starts to rain, i cover my nose and cheeks the way down to the front where the visor hits the helmet. this seals my breathe from the visor. it works and works way better than anything else i've tried. my glasses don't even fog.

and you women make fun of men and duct tape. it really does have like a million purposes... btw, paper towels and duct tape are in my tool box for the track. they make great band-aid's for when you cut yourself with safety-wire, or blister your toe from your shifter (don't ask). grab some paper towel, and duct tape in place.

it makes a great baby sitter. wrists, ankle, mouth, and you're done.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 04:35 PM

SpeedMachine: Answer lays in having a ---

---- clean visor that is waxed with any sort of plastic preservative, like SlipStream, normal Pledge, Armor-All, Plexus, & simply so many others.
I carry a container of one in each machine's tool compartment along with a decent clean cloth in preference to paper, though a soft paper to even toilet paper is better then nothing.
Just make sure visor is kept clean & waxed, WHICH means it is slipperly to the rain & crap throwen up from the cages. Trick is to trail behind a CAR & not a large truck, van, SUV or truck as less crap is throwen up.
At 60 KPH you can roll the head to left & right & 60% or more will simply roll off.
Lastly a clean visor will last some 6 yrs if you take care of it & that is basically the life of a good helmet.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:46 PM

My Duc likes water! (not really) I donít mind riding in the rain as long as itís not a downpour or hail. I usually wear sunglasses under my visor so if Iím riding in the rain I raise the shield so it acts as a deflector and look under it. I think it works pretty well. Also I seem to ride faster than I should in the rain. Better to keep the cages behind you and the wind will clear the fog at higher speeds. The worst part about riding in the rain is the first 20 minutes after it starts. Watch out! The road is slick and the spray can be nasty. I think the worst part is the next day brakes are grabby and noisy after they dry. Also think Rain-x is made for glass only. Could be wrong though.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode