954 or R1/first bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

954 or R1/first bike

Wuz up fellaz, wanted to know if any one started out on a 954 or r1 for first bike, right after a completing a msf course or something, just curious cause (maybe for obvious reasons) have never heard of anyone starting out on such a strong bike, hit me back with details of anyones experience with a liter for first bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:58 AM

my 1st real street bike was a ...

93 gixxer 750...i now have a 98...theres no problem with starting out on a bigger bike, as long as you have respect for the power..

get the bike YOU want, put a million miles on it and have fun..this is what its all about..
if your gona get into trouble on a 750 or bigger bike, you would have also done it on something smaller..
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:05 AM

I changed my mind on a response....do a search for "first bike"
threads or something...its been beat to death.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Yes, this subject HAS been beaten to death... and into the afterlife.

But to add something to the dead horse, if this is your first bike, you should also think about insurance rates. I think the brackets go something like:

- 450-599cc
- 600-899cc
- 900+cc

The rates will be different from company to company, but as I mentioned, if this is your first bike, and you go with a 900+cc, you'll be in for a shock.

My street bike is a ZX9R which is technically 899cc, so I fall into the next lower bracket.

954 or R1... there's no ducking under.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:24 AM

Big first bike.

My first bike was (and still is) a cbr 900rr with a pipe and jet kit. So it puts out about 110 hp. However I rode constantly as a kid (5 years on a kawa 125cc hey don't laugh) and I've raced my car on lapping days and autocrosses for the past 3 years so I know how to respect speed and required breaking distances.

If you do not allready have "race skills" you will very easily kill yourself, it's way too easy to just open it up and bang before you know it your going 100+ mph and whoops theres a corner and your dead.

So no race knowledge = buy a small bike to start with so you can learn without death like a ninja 250 or 500. You can probably sell it the next year for the same you bought it for if you buy used.. If you do allready have race knowledge then buy whatever you want.

You make think I'm overstating the dying or being paralyzed thing. But you woulden't believe the ammount of threads I've read since I joined this website about people dying, usually because they overestemated cornering speeds went off the road and hit a guardrail or tree.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:30 AM
elo

Red face

Of course you can start out on a literbike for a first bike. But that will not make you a better rider as you'll probably spend more time worrying about "respecting the power" than learning good skills.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:37 AM

All I can say is watch out for that first step, in case of a R1, it is a very big one and so is that first fall. I learned on dirt bike 100cc, then 250 enduro then 250/Open MX then Street 1000 (which was totaled in 2 months). I learned how a motorcycle works off road first. The dirt experiance allowed me to pick the spot to land if I had no choice but to crash. If you ride a street bike, crashing is certain and just a matter of time. My point is with little or no prior motorcycle experiance, get a 600F2 or similar, no bigger. If you have a level head and are good off road, a big bike should not be a problem.

Steve Sallberg
Anderson, SC
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 05:30 PM

well, i dont have a 954 or R1 but i recently got a Ninja ZX-9R for my first bike. i took the MSF course.

although i read somewhere that Kawasakis are heavier than other bikes, i was very surprised by how easy it was to handle it. yes, the bike is kinda heavy when i'm trying to park it backing up or turning, but genrally riding it, it was same like the Honda Rebel 250 i used when taking the MSF course.

of course, when i first took it out on the street and pulled the throttle, i was scared as shit. but i learned to respect her power and now i'm very comfortable with it.

so go ahead and buy whatever you want. just remember not to do anything stupid to prove that you are immature.

good luck
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 09:46 AM

I don't have my bike yet but I started out on a dirtbike. I was already getting bored with the Honda Rebel in the MSF course but I also try to avoid altercations with the police. A 500 would probably make me happy forever.

As for starting out on a liter bike, I've been playing Superbike 2001 on my PC and noticed that "tiny bit too fast = major nasty slide" or worse "superman impersonation into a distant wall"

If you accidently blip the throttle in a turn your much more likely to break loose with that much HP than if you have something more user friendly. Aslo when you put the bike down you're also going to pay more to fix it and are more likely to cause more seriuos injuries.

If you do go with a bigger bike I'd recommend looking into a twin as it will have friendly power characeristics than a I4 for a beginner.

It will take years to gain the skill to squeeze all the performance out of an old 600 much less a newer liter bike. Mainly what your are going to get is a less forgiving bike that's more expensive and not as easy or fun to ride at legal speeds.

This isn't anything that hasn't been said before but it's all good advice. I'm just saving you from having to do a search

Whatever you get, be safe and have fun!

Last edited by Black_Snowman; 08-26-2002 at 09:58 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 09:50 AM

Black-Snowman

Pretty good reply coming from somebody that does not even
own a bike yet....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode