'01 Ninja ZX6R frame sliders - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb '01 Ninja ZX6R frame sliders

I'm thinking of getting some frame sliders for my 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R.

I heard you have to cut through the fairing to put them on.. Is that true? Does the frame already have bolt holes in it to secure the slider to?

I know they are small, but do they do anything to the handling from wind resistance? I love going full tilt for speed runs, and also for commuting to save gas.. I want to make sure I don't cause problems to my Green baby by trying to save her fairings etc, in the event of a crash.

Does it affect the total worth of the bike for when I sell her to upgrade? Maybe make it go up or down?

I've been riding for a year and a month, and i'm ready to start messing with wheelies and stuff....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 02:11 PM

Wink

Hey, Next......

You don't have to cut through the fairings on the ZX-6R'S. I own a zx-6r and i have the frame sliders and all they are, are bolt on that you take one of the screws from the fairing and put the frame sliders inplace of the oem screw. And no they do not effect wind resistance. Also, it will not affect the value when its time to sell...If you want to sell it just remove them. If you only been riding for a year or so i advise you to put them on....they may be small but will save your expensive fairings. The last thing on your mind should be if the value goes up or down. Answer me this question....If you don't have the frame sliders when you go down...Does the value on the bike go up or down?....
P.S. I hope you didn't get this bike for good gas mileage...
Just get the frikin sliders and protect your fairings.

Last edited by ferracci69; 08-19-2002 at 02:16 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

framesliders

Sweet!! I had no idea it was that simple!!

I got the bike for many reasons, the most definitive being how much fun it was going to be... but the small things are still important, like value and other reasons why I bought it, 48mpg is a lot better than my truck's 16mpg.

Where did you get your frame sliders? how much were they? Is one tiny bolt hole strong enough to take that kind of punishment????

Thanks!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 08:08 PM

Save your fairings...............HA ok sure.

I laid my 6r Over and the bolt holding it on snaped off at the frame and took half the fairing with it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 08:12 PM

I bought my frame sliders from the dealership up north for about $50. U can get them at Lockhart Phillips for about the same price or your local m/c dealership. They come in short or long style...black or white or the fancy style with the color and carbon fiber. They are cheap insurance for your motorcycle.

Later

P.S. Good choice on bike
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm very happy with my bike. Kawi's get a lot of crap from other riders, but we know which riders are still going to be able to walk after 2 hours in the twisties!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:26 AM

Thumbs up

YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT THAT.... I ENJOY RIDING EVERYDAY ...B/C ITS VERY COMFORTABLE AND ALSO I CAN PUT MY GIRLFRIEND ON THE BACK WITH ME AND SHE DOESN'T COMPLAIN AT ALL...UNLIKE OTHER BIKES....... CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE 03' MODEL.

LATER
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Y2K1 6R
Save your fairings...............HA ok sure.

I laid my 6r Over and the bolt holding it on snaped off at the frame and took half the fairing with it.
Local kawasaki dealer told me the same thing about sliders that use the fairing bolt when I looked at them for my ZX9. Waste of money. I've heard there are more expensive ones that bolt direct to the frame but I haven't looked for them yet.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 12:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Don't kid yourself boys, they are frame sliders, not fairing protectors.

I'll guarantee you, in the event of a mishap at any speed, other than 5mph, your fairings will kiss the pavement.

I have/had those same (they call them mini's) sliders on my ZX-9R, mounts the exact same way. Situation was, I was leaving a buddy's house, on a downhill, extremely crested road, and I dropped the bike (not EVEN 5 miles an hour... more like 1.5 miles). The bolt bent, cracked the fairing, snapped the right fairing off the lower, road rash on the upper, marred the barend, and textured my exhaust can. So I had to twist and cut the slider off (having no choice but to damage the right fairing even MORE, just to get it off).

I replaced the upper with one I found on eBay for about $290, the barend, I replaced, exhaust... too spendy to fix, right fairing and lower - I safetywired together. Looks like tiny staples.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode