New or Used - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Question New or Used

Hello there!

I was wondering wether i should buy a used bike..or a new one.

I think i'd want to buy a new bike, because you never know how the previous owner treated the bike and bcause it would be my first bike, I'd have no clue about the different snags I should be looking for. Also, I figure that if it's new..I won't have any $ to put on it yet.

Some people say to get a used one because they are cheaper to buy, cheaper in insurance and I could use that money to buy more/better apparel.

What's your take?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 06:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i thought you had a bike?

anyway, i'd say either buy used or buy a new bike without fairings. fairings are expensive to replace and they get messed up easily.

whereas if you scratch a case cover on an sv, who cares?

most japanese bikes are pretty good bikes. and you can get more gear, cheaper insurance, etc.

the best thing about new is it's just like a car, piece of mind.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

No, no.. I'm getting one next month!

My mind is pretty much made which is why I put the YZF. As for buying a bike with no fairings..my experience around the track makes me want to have the fairings on to protect the essential..and I'm not going to put any of those little "pucks" on it either(Sliders?) because when they catch an edge and the bike starts flying..that's when the real damage (and danger) occurs

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:21 AM

You have LOT to learn about m/cs.

Your bit "--.my experience around the track makes me want to have the fairings on to protect the essential..--" proves my point. The fairing will NOT protect a bike when it is dropped. Said ABS plastic is there for appearance, to help cut through the wind, & can give better fuel milage. It will NOT protect any part of the m/c.
We rode naked bikes since day one & only in the late 80s (true I was experimenting with alloy pounded or f/glass simple 2 or 3-piece fairings) did we see some partial fairings till what we have now & all will admit then when they drop a bike at even nil speed lst concern is damage to the fragile plastic & what will be the cost.
Latch onto a bike in naked form & enjoy riding & servicing it without fear of what it will cost if dropped & how long it takes to remove part of a fairing to get at something simple like the sparkplugs.
In the late 40s & right into the 80s everyone had a sparkplug spanner easy to reach (often I carried mine at the top of boot or in a fanny-bag) & spare plug(s) just in case or to do a check on the plugs to see how carburation was set, but these days it is a nightmare to get at the plugs ---- & that is just one of many disadvantages of costly plastics.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:23 AM
elo

Quote:
Originally posted by Deus
No, no.. I'm getting one next month!

My mind is pretty much made which is why I put the YZF. As for buying a bike with no fairings..my experience around the track makes me want to have the fairings on to protect the essential..and I'm not going to put any of those little "pucks" on it either(Sliders?) because when they catch an edge and the bike starts flying..that's when the real damage (and danger) occurs
Uh no, sorry but I've never heard of frame sliders causing more damage than they prevent, and they assuredly protect a lot!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:30 AM

As an afterthought why are the skelton-naked bikes---

---becoming so popular such as the FZ1 & others? EASIER to work on, less chance of plastic damage, & bikes are in a learn forward riding position, but more upright (easier on the back, neck, arms, shoulders, & wrists) PLUS with a more sensible pillion riders saddle bit, that often allows the gal an easier position to ride on the bike as the person handeling the bike, like his arse is not the main section to her as she takes on the blunt of the wind!!!.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

it's not the sliders that cause the damage....it's when they catch and edge and send the bike rag-dolling across the field!!!

I've seen just last weekend a bike suddenly pop 10 feet in the air and crash down in my corner. I see about about 5 crashes per weekend and believe me..95% of the time the ones that start going crazy like that have sliders. Others just slide on their side right trought the track and grass...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:39 AM

Frame sliders are a MUST to any bike with a fairing. The amazing number of times we drop the bike at nil speed compared to high speeds is amazing & even in the latter frame sliders can often protect a lot of the m/c.
If you have a YZF600r in mind I have had one since '97 with frame sliders & the bike has been knocked over my a kid & hit, by a cage, while parked & the frame sliders did the job---true there is a crack in the fairing just above the right front signal light, but without frame sliders that would probably be a chunk of the fragile plastice that simply broke away..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Of course they protect if it just falls down..no doubt about it...but let me tell you, seing a bike rag-doll over a racer or even worse(?) towards my collegues and I kinda turned us off towards those pucks

Not that I intend to fall to often while riding..but they still gimme the spooks!

ANYWAYS...new or used?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 08:33 AM
elo

1) If you're planning on riding hard like that on the street, I highly recommend against it

2) There is a huge difference between street riding and track riding, or at least there should be

3) I have seen bikes cartwheel all over the place having nothing to do with frame sliders. Are you sure your observations are accurate?

4) Used. Definitely

Last edited by elo; 08-16-2002 at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode