"But Kyle its so dangerous!" - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

"But Kyle its so dangerous!"

Really? Man why didnt someone tell me before?
Oh yes, I must be oblivious to the fact that people wont see me on the road, that im on a machine that can propel me to rediculous speeds without a safety cage, that people die in crashes, yadda yadda yadda.

How the hell do you guys put up with this? I mean, I dont even physically have my motorcycle yet and at least 3 times a day I get that. I would never admit that riding a motorcycle isnt dangerous. Yet why do people think that I dont know this and they feel the need to remind me. All I respond with is "Believe me, I know." Then I change the subject.

I dunno, no need to reply it just got to me today. Im done ranting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:05 PM

Yeah, riding is inherently dangerous to an extent. You can't control the other drivers and you are more exposed. I do firmly believe that the rider has a lot to say about how much of a risk it is though. If you can be content with keeping a good space cushion around you when possible and stay well within your limits, you really cut down on the dangers. Of course there's a lot more to it, but that should be enough to shut people up for starters.

A good idea would be to sign up for and complete the MSF basic rider's course. I can't think of much that would convince your loved ones more that you're concerned with safety. The course is incredibly fun and informative as well, but you don't have to tell them that part
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:07 PM

Unhappy I know what you mean

People bungee jump, hang glide, parachute, rock climb, race cars, slide from ropes out of helicopters, surf shark infested waters, smoke, drive intoxicated etc....etc....etc; yet the first things out of our co-workers, and loved ones mouths when they see us is "When are you going to give, and grow out of those death cycles." The thing that really burnes me up, is that these people pass judgement and HAVE NEVER BEEN ON A BIKE THEMSELVES. I guess as long as there are dangerous things to enjoy, there will always be the "Jimmany Crickets," to warn us.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:20 PM

When I first started riding I used to get that a lot too. Eventually the people you're around often at least drop it. As for the random retards that bring it up, can't do much but smile and nod.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:25 PM

Once they get tired of asking about death, then they move on to, "What do you do when it rains?"

I wear a rain coat, numbnuts.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by lord tim
Once they get tired of asking about death, then they move on to, "What do you do when it rains?"

I wear a rain coat, numbnuts.
haha...

I can't think of much that would convince your loved ones more that you're concerned with safety.

I don't think it is possible to convey to people my level of concern for my well being and for the well being of others on the road. I just dont think it is humanly possible.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:49 PM

We're always going to get a certain level of crap from people because sportbike riders have developed a reputation for recklessness and lawlessness that's going to be hard to shake. The people who hold this opinion tend to know jack-squat about bikes and are basing their opinions on one or two idiots they saw behaving like jackasses. No one notices the people on sportbikes who behave well in traffic and use their turn signals, etc.

I'm still very much a newbie to riding, but I try to do what I can to be part of the solution by doing little things like waving to kids and being courteous to traffic and in general not being a tool around other drivers.

You're never going to convince a certain number of people that you're interested in riding safely. They see a sportbike and just assume you're on your way to being an organ donor, as if the bike will take off on one wheel at 160 mph regardless of your input. Just try to hang in there and know there's plenty of us out there who understand
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 07:04 PM

Before I bought my current bike, after a year and a half without one and after I moved to a new area with new friends, I got the "You'll kill yourself" speech from MOST of those around me, with the exception of enthusiasts and a few former riders (and a few that knew I just didn't give a crap about their opinion on the subject.

After I got my bike everyone dropped that argument and went to "That's a sweet ride" and then began to ask me what kind of squiddy stunts I do. Some of the higher profile (and the lower ones, too) stunt riders have gotten a lot of bad press around here and it is causing the riding public a lot of problems in my neck of the woods (Akron/Cleveland).

It seems that everyone thinks they can talk you out of getting the bike if you don't own it yet, and then they realize they are too late when you have it, so they forego the dumbass comments.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 08:40 PM

Ah since the sportbike stereotype was brought up I'm gonna hafta say that I think it's pretty well deserved. Sometimes when I go on the tuesday night rides in a group of about 30 bikes I just look around and 15-20 of the guys there are wearing mesh shorts and t-shirts with a cut up sock over the tip of their left shoe so they don't get it dirty from the shifter. Well, oki maybe only 5-10 have the sock on their shoe but still.
Even those guys aside though, I can understand how people are going to get a bad impression about sportbikes. How many times have you ever been in a cage and come across a sportbike on the road going slower than you. Doesn't happen too much. Now we argue that its safer to go faster than traffic, but you can't expect any random person to draw that conclusion.
Anywho, I could prolly ramble on for awhile, those were just some examples. I don't wanna flame or nuttin, just wanted to open the topic up. Does anyone else have an opinion whether or not we deserve the bad rep?
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 08:56 PM

Getting out of bed is dangerous.

Yet not getting out of bend could mean your death as part of the ceiling comes down due to an earthquake or explosion.
Walking across a street with the ON for pedestrains is always taking a chance, for a cage driver could simply plough through & down you.
Possibly it would have been better if we were not even thought of, by our parents let alone born!!!! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode