Starter bike for a bigger rider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Starter bike for a bigger rider

Until recently, I have never had a desire to get into street bikes. Im 24 and have been riding dirt bikes and quads for almost 10 years.... I know that comparing dirt bikes to street bikes is like comparing apples to oranges. But I am very comftorable on 2 wheels...

A buddy of mine let me take his CBR 600 for a spin. That was a big mistake because I had a blast even though I only rode for a few minutes. Not long after that I rode another friends Katana, I think it was a 750???? Anyway, My point is that Im hooked and I want a bike something fierce now.....
However, even though both of those bikes were fun to ride. I wasn't physicly comftorable on them. Im 6'4 310, so Im obviously a big guy. I was wondering what would be a good starter bike for somebody my size?
I was at the Suzuki dealership getting some parts for one of my dirt bikes. I sat on a Hayabusa. Sweet looking bike and seemed comftorable for somebody my size. But Im sure that it may not make a good starter bike. But I think Im definatly gonna have to get one some day..LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 10:39 PM

I am investigating the new Suzuki V-Strom for myself. It has the highest seat height of the Suzukis at close to 32 inches and a little more upright riding position than the models you tried. It is a little more expensive than the Katana and about the same price as that Honda 600 new (in canada anyway).

I am not at big as you but above average size and I find the knees go first so if I can find one that gives the legs a little room I am happy. Try the V-Strom.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 09:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
okay, i have a question, i know the panthers don't look like they're gonna have much of a team, and you probably feel a little embarrassed, but which offensive linemen are you? come on, 6'4, 310?? you have to play for the panthers. if not, show up, i'm sure they need the help.

moto-cross experience goes further than people give it credit for. especially when combined with an msf course to help break you of your bad-for-the-street habits.

i knew a guy who was 6'1-2, he weighed about 270. he insisted that he needed to start on a big bike. he bought a 900 ninja (monster in its day), and crashed it 4 times. after the third, i told him to sit on my f2 (i wasn't letting him ride it, he crashed 4 times in a year of riding). anyway, he was amazed at how comfortable and roomy it was. i would have to say the 91-4 cbr600f2 (94 being best) would be a good choice given your size and experience. ride it a year or two, then get a 'busa or a zx12r. if you don't like it, the f3 is a good second choice. you may want to look into the zx6e. it may be a bit low for ya, but if you like the katana 750, 6e should work fine.

the katana 750 isn't a bad choice, but here's why the 600 is better. 750-exclusive parts are usually harder to get. they are built on pretty much the same chassis. the 750 isn't that much stronger. the 600 is cheaper and easier to sell used.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode