injuries without crashing - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb injuries without crashing

ok...here is something that has been baffling me since I started riding...a whole 2 months ago...when I'm riding on a highway, after about 10-15 minutes, my hands go completely numb...it's not a temperature thing, and I wear gloves, it just seems that the position of my arms and wrists on the sportbike does something to prohibit bloodflow (I'm guessing)...any ideas what I can do to not have this happen?..I've tried relaxing even more than I am, I stretch my arms and wrists before I get on the bike, but I end up having to shake my hands out to get them back to normal (and taking my right hand off the throttle is somewhat of an adventure around a bunch of crazy truck drivers)...
the other funniness is tennis elbow...I've played tennis for years and never got tennis elbow...now I have it from riding...very curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 02:01 PM

My bet is that this is being caused by your being too tense (though you probably don't realize it). This will probably go away to a great extent as your ride more and can relax. However, here are a couple of tips: grasp the handlebars like you are holding a sponge that you don't want to squeeze the water out of. Nice and easy. Drop your wrist angle as much as possible - try to get your forearm parallel to the road; this will lessen the pressure on your wrists. Keep your elbows bent and your shoulders relaxed. You might also consider getting bar risers.

Just my $.02.

Good luck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonk!
My bet is that this is being caused by your being too tense (though you probably don't realize it). This will probably go away to a great extent as your ride more and can relax. However, here are a couple of tips: grasp the handlebars like you are holding a sponge that you don't want to squeeze the water out of. Nice and easy. Drop your wrist angle as much as possible - try to get your forearm parallel to the road; this will lessen the pressure on your wrists. Keep your elbows bent and your shoulders relaxed. You might also consider getting bar risers.

Just my $.02.

Good luck.
He speaks the truth. My hands did the same thing for about the first month or so of riding. Because I was a bit nervous all of the time. After a while it was like nothin'. Also, you may try supporting your weight by sitting a bit more upright and squeezing a bit with your legs on the tank. Remember, keep your arms LOOSE and RELAXED! I see so many squids riding with their arms locked straight! Bad idea. If you need to avoid something, you won't be able to throw a hard counter-steer. I've also heard some bikes (F3/4 eg) have a bit of vibration but nothing a lighter grip won't cure. It'll get better; just relax. and breathe! I don' t now how many times I caught myself holding my breath when riding. (I don't do that anymore )

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 03:30 PM

Question

You might want to change your stock grips or get leather gloves with good padding on the palm side. What type of gloves do you wear? Like the guys said you may be too tense.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 03:34 PM

Possible Radial & Ulnar nerve problem which is likey not caused by biking but aggravated by it. Do you work with your hands and arms at your regular job - i.e. carpenter? Hammering can do it to you.

This is similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. Those nerves affect primarily the palm & middle fingers and secondarily the thumb and small fingers. The radial and ulnar nerves pass either side of the elbow (hence tennis elbow symptom) and that is where a lot of the inflatation and injury occurs. They control the outer phalanges more than the middle ones.

I do not think there is a cure so you will have to adjust your grip to minimise further problems and reduce symptoms. Try keeping your wrists flat and straight most of the time.

I am not a Doctor but suggest this as a possibility because I have this problem. Get it checked out only after some more time in the saddle, as already suggested it may be just taking time to become comfortable on the bike. That is natural.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:28 PM

Sorry, but it is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Might just be acting up when your wrists are bent on the bike, with pressure for over a certain amount of time, in which case it is "probably" (means ask your doctor, not a bunch of nit wits on a sportbike web site) not enough to be worried more than about 24 Hours.

Sailor asks you about work. Carpal Tunnel is an overuse type problem with the hands in a position similar to what they are in on your bike. You get swelling of the sheath covering the tendons that pass through a cartilage tunnel in the wrist, which also is the conduit for the nerves to pass into the hands. So the swelling pushes against the nerves causing the numbness or "neuropathy" (i.e., could also be tingling or electrical shock type sensations).

I had the problem after riding for 8 days straight to get to Florida from Seattle on my ZX9. My left hand got numb and stayed that way, for about ten days, and I had reduced grip in that hand. It sucked but it went away after the trip. I have had no similar problems, but the next time I ride to Florida or Louisiana and Texas to see my relatives I will use a touring bike or a cruiser.

See your doctor. If the problem persists they may wish to test for reduction in nerve transmission to/from the hand or hands.

Do not neglect the problem, it only gets worse if you do not handle it right. Better to make ergonomic changes than to have to get surgery. Ask your doctor to refer you to a physical or occupational therapist for one or two sessions of counseling to solve the problem from an ergonomic perspective. Even if it is just while riding your bike.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode