MSF course and other newbie ?'s.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Question MSF course and other newbie ?'s....

Hey all, new to this forum, but I just had a few questions that I couldn't get answered anywhere else...

Anyways, I'm 20, been driving a car for 5 years, and have just now decided to take the MSF course before I turn 21. (the week before) But anyways, after I take the course I'm kinda (really) interested in getting a Ninja 500R. I have *almost* plenty of money saved up, but the thing i worry about is the fact that the only experience I'll have before getting it is in the MSF course. I don't know anyone who even has a license (much less a bike), so I don't have anyone whose bike I can ask to practice riding on. Should I just buy the 500R and pray I don't do something stupid with it? (drop it, flip it, re-start the Cold War, et al...) Or what? rent a bike?

P.S. Just some other random question... Is it easy to flip the bike end-over by using only the front brake? Cause...I used to do that on my bicycle going downhill once in a while... rough stuff....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 04:45 PM

The MSF course should be enough to get you started riding. Just take it easy and dont do anything stupid right off like try stunts.

Don't forget GEAR EXPENSES.

You can expect to pay at least $250 for a mesh jacket, an inexpensive helmet, and a set of gloves. Prices only go up the better the gear you want.

If you manage to flip the bike using the front brake you flipped an endo... and had to have been trying to do one. You are probably not gonna lift the rear wheel off during normal riding, and even with panic braking you are more likely to lock the front wheel, which is almost as bad. What I'm trying to say is... NO.

By the way... great choice on the 500R. Excellent first bike.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 05:35 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats on the wise choice of entering the MSF COURSE! I took the course and it was a great learning experience and helpful. Don't sweat it!!! Also, at the MSF COURSE they provide you with the bike and helmet, just don't forget to buy gloves. Good choice on the starter bike but after awhile you're going to want a 600cc. Just my 2cents that's all. Good luck!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, clothing prices worry me, but I figure I'll worry about getting the bike first. I'd look pretty dumb having the gear but no bike I also worry about the MSF course...I don't want to buy gloves, boots, etc, use it once at the course, then end up not getting the bike for one reason or another. I guess I could sell them on Ebay, but I think I'm just gonna try to get by with stuff i can find at home (the course is next wednesday)

And yeah, I did some (a lot) of research about what bike I was gonna get, and had it nailed down to the 500R or the GSX1300 Hayabusa... heh heh...j/k

But in the end I'm gonna go with the 500R The Suzuki 650s or whatever it is looked nice too, but it was more expensive....plus i kind of wanted the "ninja" name... but now the voices in my head are talking about the Suzuki... crap. now i dunno.

And you don't need to worry about me doing tricks...just the concept or riding at 65 mph with nothing between me and the asphalt scares me enough, let alone doing somethign stupid like that. And I've pretty much resigned myself as a nerd, so doing tricks won't increase my status, so I won't even try.

Last edited by banpei; 08-06-2002 at 11:28 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:11 AM

Your choice of bikes sounds good. As far as gear, the MSF course will provide you with helmet, gloves, and, of course, the bike. Jeans, boots, and a jacket/long sleeve shirt will be fine. You won't be going more than 20 mph during the course. Wait til you take the course and pass, then go buy your bike and the necessary gear.

Treat the bike (be it the Ninja or the SV) with respect. Learn what it can do. Learn what you can do. Wear your gear. HAVE FUN!!!!! Take your time. You'll be amazed at how quickly you become proficient at riding. I started from scratch last October with a Suzuki Bandit 600s and now have 7500 miles under my belt now. I love riding. Wish I didn't have to work (and it wasn't 100+ degrees outside everyday ) so I could ride more.

Best of luck in the course and on the road.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 11:57 AM

https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...565#post230565

It's a bit of a drive for you . . . and only a 250 . . .

As for gear: I still don't have my bike and I've got my helmet and jacket on order, I'm shopping for gloves and pants, and I've already got my boots.

Having the gear ahead of time is a good plan so you're not tempted to ride without it and get into a bad habit.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Last edited by Black_Snowman; 08-07-2002 at 12:19 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by banpei
Yeah, clothing prices worry me, but I figure I'll worry about getting the bike first. I'd look pretty dumb having the gear but no bike I also worry about the MSF course...I don't want to buy gloves, boots, etc, use it once at the course, then end up not getting the bike for one reason or another. I guess I could sell them on Ebay, but I think I'm just gonna try to get by with stuff i can find at home (the course is next wednesday)

Sh*t,

that's the best way to make you buy a bike I bought my Pascal Picotte Shoei, Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and gloves, 6 months before I got the bike. Otherwise, I would have put it off, and put it off. If you have something invested, you'll be more apt to seriously get a bike. Otherwise, you'll be a guy who's always at the dealer/searching the want ads dreaming about your bike.

Gear it SO important. I had a 70 mph lowside on June 12 and because of my gear, only two broken bones in my hand. No road rash; no concussion; etc......I know gear is important, but keep in mind you can transfer gear from bike to bike. Yes it's expensive, and it sucks when you're on a budget but trust me....it wil be worth it. You'll likely lay down the bike eventually just by the laws of statistics. Hell, I bought a Teknic leahter jacket THE DAY I had my lowside. Sh*t, it's fine; and I'll use it when I get my next bike (scuffs, dirt, grass, and all as a tribute to "breakin' my cherry" in a crash). Good luck man, and keep it in perspective.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Black_Snowman
https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...565#post230565

It's a bit of a drive for you . . . and only a 250 . . .

As for gear: I still don't have my bike and I've got my helmet and jacket on order, I'm shopping for gloves and pants, and I've already got my boots.

Having the gear ahead of time is a good plan so you're not tempted to ride without it and get into a bad habit.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
spoken by a wise-man
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 02:46 PM

Never sacrifice the gear. Go for good quality stuff particularly helmet gloves and boots. Get a new Helmet not used, you can't tell if a used Helmet has been dropped or used as a soccer ball.

You can get good clothing, leathers, ballistic fabric etc by watching the buy and sell sections of this and other websites. I think there is an internet dealer in used bike clothing out of Texas and they have good deals.

If you are riding a bike, you will fall off. If you don't want to fall off, don't ride. Get the gear.

Re: front brake, it is pretty close to impossible to go end over by braking alone. You could pitch yourself forward on the bike and lose control. To avoid that always count "1" when applying the front brake regardless of circumstance. That almost one second will provide a smooth transfer of weight of bike and you forward onto the front tire and it will also reduce the possibility of an out of control lock up.

Ninja 500, Suzuki GS500 and SV650 are all good choices. My pick, the SV650.

Remember, Get the Gear First. Road Rash hurts, for a long time.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Ninja500r

Okay....so I'm gonna get the 500R. Thanks for all the help you guys. I posted the same question on cycleworld.com and got one reply, and that was from some guy describing in detail how to do an endo...so...not too helpful. I think the only reason I was looking at the Suzuki was because the riding position looks more crouched and well...uh...it just looked kinda cooler than the ninja. And that's a bad reason to want a bike that costs a $1000 more...right? Cause the ninja's kinda upright, yes?

I'm gonna take the course next week, make absolutely sure I have the $, then go buy my gear and clothing. Good advice snowman about the clothes, before the bike. Very insightful. I'm hella excited about all of this.

Heh...one thing that kinda bothers me is whenever I tell friends and other ppl about this whole thing, the first thing they all automatically say is "oh! I know someone who died on a cycle!" And they say it like it's an everyday thing too... It's like I'm surrounded by Dr. Dooms... Did anyone else get that from their friends when they first started riding, cause it's kinda unsettling to me...

And don't even ask about what my mom thinks about all this...

And heh...yeah...Minnesota is kinda far...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode