damage from revving in neutral? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Question damage from revving in neutral?

I was riding around on my new(to me) 2000 honda F4. I am light footed when it comes to shifting and I hit neutral shifting from first to second. I was trying to feel the acceleration from a stop light and the engine revved up to about 10000 in neutral. I felt terrible. I of course will try not to do this again, but is there any harm in doing this from time to time?

Please, make me feel better,

John

Last edited by stealthpot; 07-30-2002 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:24 PM

Everyone does this at least once on a new bike until you get the shifting "touch" down. It won't hurt anything (except your ego) and should become much less frequent as you pile up the miles. Just don't make it a habit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 09:51 PM

Normal to make this mistake, also healthy to feel terrible about it. Let it go, it is done and you cannot change it now. Nice to hear someone else share their experience and feelings about it, thanks, I needed that.

Do not worry. Now, if you bought the bike from someone who did that all the time with it, I would worry.

Remember, the motor has been overengineered by Honda. It is made to rev that high, just normally it has a load on it when doing it.

Go. Ride in peace, brother!

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 10:17 PM

There was a tech question in one of the bigger motorcycle magazines about this topic last month or this month, I forget when. Anyhow, the question was something like , "Can you damage an engine by over-revving it in nuetral (without a load on the engine)?" The answer was a definite no. They said you could rev an engine all day long in neutral without causing any damage. So, don't sweat it. We all do the nice miss-shift from first to second over-rev move. It's embarrasing as hell, but it happens to everyone. just don't worry about damaging the engine. You should, however, wait until the engine speed slows down before you shove it into gear again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for rallying to my support gentelmen! I feel a better knowing I probably didnt do anything harmfull to the bike, just to my ego.

Happy riding,

John
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 02:26 PM

Damn I did it today...

While riding to work I caught a light. Saw green and took off.. not going super fast, or race speed, but I gave it a good bit of throttle. As I am shifting to second I look right a hot blonde in an eclipse opposite direction waiting for her line to get moving. Sure enough I do the vrooooooooom by accident.

I know that damn b-itch thinks I was showing off for her.. and consequently thought "idiot" as she but I was just working my noobie moves in case a cop comes along I can pretend I did not know any better.

Something ironic...I can NEVER get the bike to go to "N" when rolling if I want to. It just 2-1, then 1-2, then back to 1st. Then I stop. See I have to stop for an ID check all the time so I try to roll to a stop in N to get into my pockets without worrying about the clutch too, and its a futile effort all the time.

Last edited by YZF600R Guy; 08-06-2002 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode