Total newbie here, need some advice... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Question Total newbie here, need some advice...

Hi everyone...

I'm a senior in high school and recently became interested in sport bikes. I guess it's all that racing on Speed TV . Anyway, I've never riden a cycle before and don't really know where to start.

I guess the best thing to do would be to get licensed and find a cheap bike to practice on?

This forum looks like a large community to go to for help, so that's a good thing.

What magazines/Websites would you recommend for me to check out?

Any and all help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 07:35 AM

buy a cheap bike, and get lots of gear, including helmet, jacket, and gloves. trust me you'll need them, everyone lays down there first bike, and it hurts, I know, my only mistake was not buying the gloves a day earlier, it may have saved me a broken wrist.

also don't go out and buy a large bike, the bigger the bike the heavier it is, get something like a ninja 250 or 500. and look into the motorcycle safety coarse to, it will help if you never rode before
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 01:28 AM

Take the safety course (MSF or equivalent) first. They provide the (small) bike and you can see if you really like it in a supportive and safe environment. Plus when you pass the course, you are one step closer to gettng your license. It will also show your parents that you are being responsible about a bike. It may take a while (weeks or even months) to get into a class, but you'll know when it comes around if you're still interested.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 01:29 AM
Founder

Garage
http://www.msf-usa.org

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 04:34 AM

Exclamation Cannot be emphasized enough!!

TAKE THE COURSE!! Do NOT get caught up in the macho bullshit, that you already know how to ride. Riding a bike is nothing like steering a car! It is a learned skill, and on a sportbike it is a sharp learning curve. I hate to sound like a prick, but I just wached a 20 y/old on his new F4i panick in a turn and end up in a coma (he had all the gear on, luckily) for aweek. He is doing better and should make a full recovery- in about a year. Brain hemmoraging is a bitch, huh? Wanna go fast? After you get a little experience, go look into track schools.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 04:37 AM

TAKE THE COURSE!! Do NOT get caught up in the macho bullshit, that you already know how to ride. Riding a bike is nothing like steering a car! It is a learned skill, and on a sportbike it is a sharp learning curve.

Amen, fasthawk. I couldn't have said it better.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 08:50 PM

NA, JUST SKIP THE COURSE AND START RIDING THE HELL OUT OF IT......AND THEN SEE IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE COURSE OR NOT.
JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!! TAKE THE MSF COURSE ITS THE BEST START, TAKE OUR ADVICE.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 09:07 PM

Before my first sportbike, I had only owned an old '82 Honda four-stroke dirtbike about 10 years ago.

I hindsight, I wish I would have taken the MSF course. Although I hopped on it and rode it home with no panic; so starting, stopping, shifting etc...was gravy.

I will probably take a MSF course when I get my next bike just for good measure. I'm SURE there are things that I don't know that I need to know.

And sportbikes ARE A HUGE LEARNING CURVE. Very unforgiving. They require you push all the right buttons; and know which buttons to push when and where.

Luckily, I took my time, and became (what I feel) a good, safe and proficient in my riding. Mainly due to picking everyone's brains on this site for advice, as well as talking to as many experienced riders as I could.

Go with the course first, or get the bike and run the risk of pulling a silly bonehead move in a parking lot that could have been avoided with some schoolin'.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 09:19 PM

Like all other posters here, I cannot tell you how important it is to take the course. The confidence and skill you will gain will enhance your enjoyment of riding. Better yet, you get to make your mistakes with THEIR bikes! IT will save you the embarrassment and $$$ of using your own bike.

My biggest lesson in MSF was when I was pulling up on our parked riding group on a gravel shoulder. I pulled a handful of front brake and had the front end go out on me. Nothing worse than dumping a bike in front of all your waiting classmates!!

The instructors all had a laugh cuz they said they never seen anyone upright a downed bike as fast as I did....using proper technique ...of course
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 12:37 PM

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago...I decided that I wanted a bike this year and I was gonna do anything to get it...unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a bike, and I didn't have the guts to just buy one and learn on that, so I took the course, and they gave me the license test as the last activity...turns out I passed, got a bike, and I feel so much more comfortable with the little things that they taught me...For only riding 2 months now, I'm not sure I would be in 4th gear yet had I tried to teach myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode