Good Cheep Bike stands - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05
Good Cheep Bike stands

I have a 1990 600R ninja and I'd like to work on it but the previous owner took off the center stand so I'm looking for a good, yet cheep, moto stand so I can work on my bike...
I'd like to tear my bike down to the chasie... Online is cool... local shops... whatever... I'm from South Philadelphia, PA...
Thanks in Advance
Rudy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 02:10 PM

swingarm?

Why not replace the centerstand? Call salvage yards in your area.

Or...

Can you insert a rod all the way through your swingarm pivot? If so, you can use a length of steel rod and a couple of jack stands. You do need to lift the bike onto the stands.

Or...

if you have any welder friends stands are really pretty simple devices...

Otherwise, the only stands I've looked at online are pitbull stands http://www.pit-bull.com/stands Very nice, but expensive (and worth it).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
120 doesn't sound that bad... are they easy to use?? like does it require two people? one to hold it stright and another to lift the bike and slide the bike under it?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 06:07 PM

You could go with Handy Stands, too. They're cheaper than Pitbull, but I know of a lot of people that have them. You can get front and rear stands for $99 plus shipping and handling.

http://www.handyindustries.com/urws.asp

All in all, I'm very happy with my set.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 07:48 PM

stands

That is a pretty good deal on the handy stands. My swingarm is too wide for those stands , but then, I've already got stands.

Yes, you can use the stands on your own. It takes a touch of dexterity and a touch of confidence and a touch of caution, but they are easy to use by yourself.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 05:46 AM

Re: stands

Quote:
Originally posted by spoof
That is a pretty good deal on the handy stands. My swingarm is too wide for those stands , but then, I've already got stands.

Yes, you can use the stands on your own. It takes a touch of dexterity and a touch of confidence and a touch of caution, but they are easy to use by yourself.
Hmmm...That sucks. How wide is your swingarm? I've seen bikes with 190 rears up on them. Maybe the construction of your swingarm is different though.

Either way, you're right. It's not too hard to put a bike up by yourself, but you have to be careful and confident.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 06:21 AM

wide swing

I run a 180 tire. 190 would slow the steering a bit. But I'm talking a little sh*t here. I've not tried the handystands, but the generic stand I had before, that fit my previous bike would not adjust to fit the swingarm of my Falco. Perhpas the handystands are a wider product with longer adjustment range. Anyway, I'm positive the handystands will fit Deznuts 600 kwak. Hey, Chaos... did you ever get the Fogcity Hyperoptiks?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 06:43 AM

Re: wide swing

Quote:
Originally posted by spoof
I run a 180 tire. 190 would slow the steering a bit. But I'm talking a little sh*t here. I've not tried the handystands, but the generic stand I had before, that fit my previous bike would not adjust to fit the swingarm of my Falco. Perhpas the handystands are a wider product with longer adjustment range. Anyway, I'm positive the handystands will fit Deznuts 600 kwak. Hey, Chaos... did you ever get the Fogcity Hyperoptiks?
Yeah, the Handys are adjustable. They've got plenty of clearance on my 600R, so I have no doubt that they'll fit the Kwak. As far as the HyperOptiks, I called Gearbox, but they said they'd only sell in lots of 5 or more. I haven't made it over to the shop in my area for them, but I might try to go today. Regardless, I'm still definitely plannning on picking one up.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 07:22 AM

If you can put out the dollars for them, go with the Pitbull stands, they are a lot more sturdy than the Handy stands. With the Pitbull stands, you can get on the bike if you need to, would not try that on the Handy though. Only real complaint I have heard about the Handy stands, is the paint comes right off of them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys for the responds
I'll try the handy stands

Thanks again
Rudy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode