question about California model bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

question about California model bikes

hi all,

i have a question about the CA model bikes.
are all bikes sold in CA different from bikes sold in other states?
and is it possible to register a bike in CA if the bike is a 49-state bike?
i'm asking this cuz i'm looking to buy a bike but it seems like not many people sell bikes in CA especially in L.A.

Last edited by beksa; 07-24-2002 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:03 PM

in the last year or so, all bikes are the

same(meaning they all meet calif.standards(smog)) earlier bikes(calif) had some smog crap and differant cams..
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

well, i'm looking at the 2002 suzuki catalog and CA model bikes have different weight, so they're not the same.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:43 PM

Re: question about California model bikes

Quote:
Originally posted by beksa

and is it possible to register a bike in CA if the bike is a 49-state bike?
i'm asking this cuz i'm looking to buy a bike but it seems like not many people sell bikes in CA especially in L.A.
You can register a 49 state bike in CA, however you cannot buy 49 state bike in CA I least this is what I have been told.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:56 PM

Exclamation

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!

Here is how:

KAWASAKI ZX6R -
Igniter (CDI)
Carbs
Jetting
Carb Solenoids
Filter Components

YAMAHA YZF-R6 -
Igniter (CDI)
Air Box Lowers

Yes, the emissions standards may be the same to some degree. But mechanically, the machines have varying parts from CA to US/CANADA!

Hope This Helps!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:17 PM

CA bikes = inferior

Quote:
Originally posted by Jammin_Johnny
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!

Here is how:

KAWASAKI ZX6R -
Igniter (CDI)
Carbs
Jetting
Carb Solenoids
Filter Components

YAMAHA YZF-R6 -
Igniter (CDI)
Air Box Lowers

Yes, the emissions standards may be the same to some degree. But mechanically, the machines have varying parts from CA to US/CANADA!

CA has stricter emissions than the other 49, so a CA bike could be registered in AZ without problem, but an AZ bike cannot be reg'd in CA without getting the environmental sticker (extra charge) unless the mfr certified the bike meets CA standards. I think the muffler has an extra catalytic converter in CA bikes (heavier/more restricted), in addition to the electronics being slightly different to reduce emissions, in addition to the parts above (apparently...).

Check out the dyno charts to see how the CA mods affect performance: http://www.factorypro.com/
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:05 PM

i got a good one:
why is all the cereal made in CA?

...cuz thats where all the fruits, nuts, and flakes come from.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:14 PM

Many bike models have different parts (extra emission controls) in CA. Now that most car manufacturers have figured out how to make 50 state cars, the governor just signed a bill the ratchets up CA's emission standards starting in 2006 or 2008 or something. We get to "lead" the nation once again.

Let the whining begin.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

thanx for your replies.
i guess i cant buy any bikes out of state.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 06:21 AM

INTRODUCTION
The rules for registering new vehicles in California are different for California residents and for people moving to California from other states.

In other words, in order to prevent California residents from buying a NEW motorcycle in another state or country and then importing it into California thereby bypassing the more expensive and stricter emissions required by California, the state says you must have at least have 7,500 miles on the bike to bring it in.

Exceptions are made if you acquire a vehicle through a transfer by inheritance or by a decree of divorce. Also, the bar to registration would not appy if your vehicle was damaged or stolen while out of California and you had to replace that vehicle while out of California.

These rules clearly amount to selective enforcement and an injustice perpetrated upon California residents that probably would not pass muster in a class action suit or civil claim against the DMV. You could appeal to the DMV asking for logic in the matter and request a waiver citing selective enforcement.

IMPORTING MOTORCYCLES FROM OTHER STATES BY CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Individuals are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California, and the EPA label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE.

In other words, in order to prevent California residents from buying a NEW motorcycle in another state or country and then importing it into California thereby bypassing the more expensive and stricter emissions (read lower performance models) required by California, the state says you must have at least have 7,500 miles on the bike to bring it in.

The 7,500 mile requirement is ONLY for vehicles that don't meet the California emissions requirements. There is no 7,500 mile minimum requirement for motorcycles that have a manufacturer’s sticker indicating that they comply with California standards.

The odometer statement on the title or bill of sale should exceed 7,500 miles. The California DMV wants the mileage to be over 7,500 miles at the time it enters the state. They check the odometer reading against the odometer statement on the title and/or bill of sale. They consider the date of the sale (i.e. when you take ownership) as the time the bike "enters the state". If your bike was purchased and documented with 3,000 miles, and you try to bring it in with an odometer reading 7,500+ miles, you’ve got a problem.

When you attempt to register the bike for the first time the emissions label is inspected at the Department of Motor Vehicles to determine what standards the bike meets, and the odometer reading taken. The DMV doesn’t visually check that the California emissions equipment is actually installed, so swapping parts with a California-certified bike to obtain the manufacturer’s emissions sticker could be a work-around (depending where on the bike the sticker is mounted). There is no emissions testing of motorcycles in California.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode