Bought a Ninja 250 and have some ??'s - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Bought a Ninja 250 and have some ??'s

On Monday I bought a 2000 Ninja with 190 miles on it. The lady that owned it before only rode it a few times. She has a bad back and it's unable to ride. Since the miles are so low I still need to break her in. The sticker on the tach says that I shouldn't take her above 4000 for the first 500 miles. Being a 250 I have found this to be impossible. To keep up with traffic at about 40 miles an hour I find my self at about 5500 in 6th. Am I going to wreck the motor? I think that since she is capable of 14,000 that 5500 should be ok. I have never had it above 5500 for more than 15 minutes or so and try to vary speed. I will stay off the freeway till about 500 or 600 miles. Also when accelerating I have found my self in the 8 grand range a few times is this bad for the motor as well. Lastly I’m going to change the oil soon since it has been in there for 2 years. What oil do you recommend? One thing she did do was ride it around the block every few months to keep the battery up and the carbs clear. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Last edited by 2THXTRM; 07-24-2002 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 01:26 PM

When I bought My 250. I talked to every motorcycle mechanic I could find. They all told me the same thing. Ride it like your going to ride it. Just don't red line it and don't ride it at a constant rpm. One reason why they say this is because of the fact that if you baby it the piston rings will never seat properly. The brake in procedures that are in you manual are so old it isn't even funny.

Changing the oil would be a really good thing to do if it been in there for 2 years. The most I'd leave any oil in a bike or car is 6-8 months at that if its been sitting. I'd recommend any High quality motorcycle oil, such as maxima etc. I wouldn’t use a full synthetic untill you have some miles on the motor.

Last edited by laser_1992; 07-25-2002 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode