How do I convince her - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy How do I convince her

So, to all of you who were able to convince your wife/husband/signfigant other to let you get a bike, how did you accomplish this seemingly impossible task. Now, a bike would still be a number of months down the road but I figure if I can convince my wife now, it will make things easier later on. I told her I would take all the safety precautions possible i.e. full riding gear, msf coourse and riding reasonably. I am not looking to see if I can go faster than a saturn V rocket, I just want the joy of riding a bike (heck, i even want to get a Katana 600 for my first bike). To that she replys its either her or a bike . As much fun as i am sure a bike is, i think I would eventually miss her. So what are some other approaches I could use to convince her. Thanks for your tips. Maybe your tips or just plain old persistence will pay off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 11:56 AM

Hmmm..

Maybe get a enduro/dirt bike first? Start riding in the dirt and then when she gets used to that move up to a street bike? Or try to find some other kind of "gateway drug" to start from?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 12:06 PM

the answer to all lifes wants

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission!

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 12:14 PM

I think you have the same chance of owning a bike as the next kid who is asking his/her parents. The day you dont live in the same roof is when.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 12:33 PM

Well, here is what I did. I told her that I was gonna buy a bike. She never really had any say in it other than if we could afford it. We always discuss things when it involves a major purchase but as far as having her permission or blessing to get the bike i didn't. I'm paying for it and as long as it doesn't set us back financially she doesn't care. She knows its dangerous and she worries about me but she said she would rather have me out riding in my spare time then hanging out in a bar or something.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 01:27 PM

Cool Get Her to Ride with you in the dirt !

If you can show her how much fun it is in the dirt without getting her hurt in the process or yourself.You can make it a weekend camping ride a thon then after some of that you can only hope she gets the Mcycle Bug Bite. Then you can train her to see it your way. Good Luck JW
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 12:25 PM

If the problem is not a money problem you should be good. See if you can both enroll in MSF together, and she will see what its all about first hand. Try finding a steal of a deal on a used bike to show that it hardly affects the money in the house. If all else fails, come home with 12 roses, and a new sportbike and hope your new girlfriend likes roses.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
I think you have the same chance of owning a bike as the next kid who is asking his/her parents. The day you dont live in the same roof is when.
That problem is solved. I havent lived with my parents for about 4 years now. I guess I didnt make it clear but I am married. Have been for 3 years and I am 22. I also own my own house so i have a nice big garage park a bike. Well, I will keep working and maybe by the time I go to ge one, she will change her mind. Either that or do what I was thinking before and what was said above. "It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 95DGGMSS

That problem is solved. I havent lived with my parents for about 4 years now. I guess I didnt make it clear but I am married. Have been for 3 years and I am 22. I also own my own house so i have a nice big garage park a bike. Well, I will keep working and maybe by the time I go to ge one, she will change her mind. Either that or do what I was thinking before and what was said above. "It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."
I was giving an analogy with a hint of sarcasm. The day you dont live with your wife anymore is the day you get a bike.

Just dont pay attention to my posts!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:56 AM

Seriously I think if you go about it in a good way. Show her you are serious about it. Go to safety courses , races,leave magazines all over the house.....if she see that you are going about in a good manner most likely she will cave after much pleading I am sure.

If she doesn't cave well I would just come home with one and see what happens.

If she really loved you she wouldn't leave over you getting a bike.

you never know you may even be able to get her to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode