bike vs. car - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

bike vs. car

what do u guys think is more reasonable/practical? is it cheaper to maintain a bike than it is a car? and by how much? is it a very big difference? i wont need to carry that much stuff around i guess but what if i work in an office and i have to dress nicely....would i have to wear my gear on the way there then go change into my work clothes? and where would i put my gear? would i have to carry it in with me? and the helmet? carry that around too?

thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 10:48 PM

While I love to ride, I'd have to say that a car is easier (less expensive) to maintain than a bike mainly because of tires. Bikes need new tires every 3000 to 10000 miles depending on the bike and how you ride. Routine maintenace is about the same especially if you do as much of the work as you can yourself. Also, all parts for bikes (including tires) cost more than their car counterparts.

You can get riding gear that will go over your "street clothes" for commuting. You're right though, you will likely need to carry it around or chain it to your bike. And then there's the rain (and snow where you live I assume). Imagine sitting in traffic in the pouring rain and wind on a bike. Not very pleasant. A car can be much more convenient (sigh) in those situations.

Some people do use a bike as their sole transport in all weather, however, so let's hear from them too.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 08:01 AM

For me, a cage would be a lot cheaper. I wouldn't not have bike as my sole means of transportation though. Call me undedicated or whatever, but it just seems to impractical for me ( being that I am lucky enough to be able to afford to make the choice ) to have a bike as as the only way to get around. In some bigger cities I'm sure it's easier with buses, subways and such. But in my opinion, sometimes it's just too hot to gear up and ride to work or school, ehhhhh, i got a hundred reasons I wouldnt want a bike as my only mode of transportation but I don't think that's what this thread was about.

Car is probably cheaper. Once you get a bike you're gonna want to add all kind of mods to it and it can get pretty expensive.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 08:39 AM

I'm giving the only ride a bike thing a shot.

So far it's not too bad even on hot days. I got some well ventilated waterproof plastic thats good in the sun and the rain. It has removeable liners and zipper vents so it works out pretty well. I live here in Western Washington though and it never gets above 85ish at the most during the height of summer.

It does rain a lot though and I have to say that riding in the rain is a lot easier than I thought it would be and dosen't really bother me too much. But we haven't hit the rainy season yet so I'm going to hold onto my cars until I see if I can really hack consistant bad weather.

Also I have a clear commute and access to the carpool lane just speeds the commute up even more. I have to say that just being able to use the carpool lane all the time, by itself, makes full time riding worthwhile. Not to mention the awsome gas mileage.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 08:53 AM

Car.

Bikes are great for alternate vehicle. Great toy. Not as a daily commuter. Not as the only vehicle. It's inconvenient. I'm finding out now.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 05:40 PM

A bike is not meant as a replacement to a car, just as a compliment to it.

A motorcycle's main purpose is to provide speed, fun, freedom, looks and excitement. That's what it's specifically built for and made to withstand the rigorous workout that this kind of activity entails.

A car, on the other hand, is made for getting people from place to place, space for multiple persons, space for groceries etc., protection from wind, sun, rain, snow, heat. all in relative comfort.

By having a bike for the nice days, and a car for the days when it's not so nice or you need to carry something, you have the perfect combination. Both vechicles will be used for the purpose they were made for and you'll be much happier and spend less money in repairs in the long run.

A lot of people buy performance cars to try and get their speed rush and day to day driver in the same package (ahem, me. ) Doesn't end up working too well. High speed & performance breaks parts on cars, and there goes your transportation, so you're screwed both ways. And you'll have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get the same speed as a bike would provide.

The plan is so simple. Buy a car AND a bike. Be happy.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 07:01 AM

One word.... Groceries.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 08:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Bikes may be cheaper than cars, and insurance is probably less, but you will likely be kicking yourself in the butt if you try to make it your daily driver.

My advice, get the car for now, and save up for the bike later.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 12:15 PM

Unhappy

I would say its a tough choice - depends on what your needs are.

Personally i communte with my bike everyday. The only bitch is the grocery shopping and the occasional snow (like once a year)

Bikes are harder/expensiver to maintain but i dont mind its all about the S-P-E-E-D and not sitting in traffic everyday to work.

~~~drive safe people~~~~

YEAH for me.. i just became the proud owner of a 1998 GSXR1100.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 12:31 PM

As far as cost of up keep goes, I'm finding my car and bike are neck and neck. I have a 2000 Trans Am with aftermarket wheels and replacing two front tires (Toyo T1s 255/40 ZR17) cost me ~$400. Just put Metzeler M1s on my bike which cost me ~$300 however they will only last 3000 miles compared to a good 12-15K for the car. Insurance fully comp is only slightly cheaper for the bike too. However the bike sips the gas compared to the LS1 V8 ( which will still get near 30 mpg highway with 6th gear).
If you can afford it get both or a small car for the groceries and the bike for when you have the need for speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode