Order of Operations... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Order of Operations...

Well the mustang is finally sold (no really im serious this time, it is). So after the rent payments are deducted im looking at about $4K to play with aside from my weekly earnings. Now its kind of overwhelming to me for some reason, theres so much to do to prepare to start riding. heres the things (not in order) I feel need to be take ncare of:

Buy a bike
Helmet
MSF/Liscence
Gear
Insurance

It doesnt seem like alot, but with my budget, work schedule, and summer residence it gets a little hectic. Heres how ive broken it down:

1) MSF $225 / 3 days off work
2) Helmet $ >250
3) Gear $ >300
4) Bike $?????
5) Insurance
All of this happens before I start riding mind you. Not to sound like a squid but I wouldnt mind looking semi-decent while riding, which comes into play the matching helmet / gear. What do you all think?

Sorry for the book.

Last edited by Kyle; 07-11-2002 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 01:44 PM

Riding is an expensive hobby/lifestyle. I like to have a somewhat matching jacket but I could careless about a matching helmet. It's a big deal to some people, to others it's not. I almost bought a red helmet ( had blue/white bike ) but I just happend to get a better deal on a blue helmet. As far as gear goes check around, you can find stuff on clearance a lot of times.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

All the shops around me are rape artists and im a big fan of buying from mail order, anyone know of a good place for helmets specifically. Dont get me wrong, ill be trying on helmets before I buy, but I see no difference in a size Med. RF-900 from the shop then from the catalog.

Last edited by Kyle; 07-11-2002 at 10:52 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 02:12 PM

decent place to get a helmet

Shipping is included in their prices...

www.helmetharbor.com

I personally haven't bought anything from them, though.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: decent place to get a helmet

Quote:
Originally posted by Gin007
Shipping is included in their prices...

www.helmetharbor.com

I personally haven't bought anything from them, though.
thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 12:47 AM

If you want the bike and gear to match, you gotta start with the bike or decide what color bike you're going to get which could limit your choices. You will likely replace much of the initial gear you buy in the first 2 years unless you get reasonable quality. This may not fit in with a desire to look *cool*, but a white helmet, black jacket, pants, boots, and gloves will at least not look bad with any bike you decide to get. That said, black is hot if your climate is warmer and is also less visible (can be fixed with reflective strips). Or, get a black bike and coordinate the gear (again limits your bike choices).

If none of the shops in your area are reasonable, you can decide what you want and look online. Doing a search from a good shopping site (Yahoo maybe) on "Shoei RF-900" or "Brand X model Y jacket" will usually yield some good sites to compare prices once you get the words to match how the stuff is listed. Finding a good local shop for gear can be invaluable, though, since you can talk to people as you buy. Maybe approach your first choice local shop and see if they'll give you a discount on a "package deal". Once you have more experience with gear, the online stores are easier to use. Good luck, have fun, take the MSF, and ride safe.

Last edited by RayO; 07-12-2002 at 12:51 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 02:27 PM

Just get a blue/white Yamaha and some Joe Rocket gear with an HJC helmet. The colors go together like...your analogy here" and they are all good picks IMHO. Just do not come to my town cuz we will be twins. Or go same everything, but red/black scheme.

And if your record is good.. go with State Farm, you won't be disappointed.

And don't be scared of a 600 to start with, just ride it like a 500 and learn to ride it, not just stay aboard.

So thats my ..uhh.. $.06
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys... All the money is in the bank.. I have off tommrow so ill do some financing BS, then off to the stores. Im down at my beach house for the summer and heard of a pretty good shop around here so I may go check it out. Thanks again

Kyle
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 07:07 PM

Re: Order of Operations...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
[B]1) MSF $225 / 3 days off work
2) Helmet $ >250
3) Gear $ >300
4) Bike $?????
5) Insurance
Well here is my list I hope it helps..

MSF $150
Helmet AFX X-15R DOT and Snell M2000 Approved - $100 www.discountmotorcyclehelmet.com/
Fieldsheer Airblade leather (with plastics) - $150 (www.motorcycleusasuperstore.com)
1997 Yamaha FZR - $2500
Insurance - $167

Shop around and find the best deals
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the links... theyre pretty nice mailorders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode