Dealerships? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Dealerships?

I was at a local Honda/Suzuki dealer today. They have a used Ninja 250, 2001 green w/ 7100 miles. I started talking with the salesmen and asked him what they were asking for the bike. I had called that same dealer a few days earlier and asked what they wanted for it over the phone they said they wanted $2200. He came back and said they were asking 2400. He asked what I was looking to spend and I told him that I was looking for something between 1800 and 2000. He then asked if I was paying cash and if I was willing to buy today, I told him I would at the right price. He went and talked to his manager and came back with 2800 OTD. I told him that he was asking 1000 more than I wanted to spend. I then told him that I would drive it away cash for 2100 OTD. After 20 minutes of waiting he came back with 2800 OTD, didn't even drop one cent. I told him that if they wanted to re consider to give me a call and walked out. This is my first bike and all I really want at this time is something to buzz around town and to school and back as well as something to gain experience on. I know that 2100 OTD is low for a dealer but I figure that they have no prob ripping me off and I have seen some 250's from private sellers for about that price so why not try to get a decent price for the one that they are selling. They have my number I have a feeling that they will call. What do you guys think?? Any advice you could give? Thanks.

Last edited by 2THXTRM; 07-10-2002 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 10:03 PM

If they said $2200 over the phone, then they should stick to that amount. You need to add tax ($181.50) and a title transfer fee ($16.00). So the OTD price should be $2397.50.

Andy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I told them that I was told 2200 over the phone. They really didn't have much to say about that. I think that being 22 years old they pegged me for a sucker the second I walked in the door.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 11:28 PM

My (limited) experience with bike dealers is that they are worse than car dealers. Bike buyers may also be worse (more impulsive and less patient) than car buyers. I think you will generally be able to get better pricing from a private seller than from a dealer on a used bike. Try to get an idea of what different models/years in your price range sell for in your area by looking in ads and checking price guides. Unless the dealer offers some sort of warranty (even 30 days), there probably isn't much benefit from buying from a dealer. Your best bet is to buy from someone you know and trust if that's possible.

If you are more confident buying from a dealer, make them a fair offer and let them think about it. Unless they actually do have someone who will pay more, they'll call you back. Make sure that they know you are really ready to buy if the price is right (assuming you are). A bike sitting on their floor is costing them money. BTW, paying cash usually isn't as attractive to the dealer as financing through them. They then make more money on the finance deal. (I'm not suggesting that you finance throught them.)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I had intended on buying from a private seller but I saw the bike sitting there one day and thought I would see what they were asking. I still haven't heard from them, probably for the better :-). If any of you guys know of a Ninja 250 for sale in the SF Bay area please let me know, thanks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 09:22 AM

Dealers suck.

In the summer they can get almost as much for the used bikes as they can for the new ones. The prices all seem to be jacked through the roof. And as another poaster said they do seem to be worse than car dealers.

I had the same experience as you did there was a honda f4 that I was kinda interested in and was willing to pay cash for but they just wanted way too much money for it. It bluebooked for somewhere around $5000. They wanted something like 6700 for a 98. And they were selling the 2002 f4i's brand new for like 7900. I told em thanks for the test drive and left. Ended up buying from a private seller the next day.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 06:00 PM

Im sorry but what is OTD price?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 06:43 PM

Don't be sorry for asking a legitimate question, but how did you find this thread?

OTD stands for "out the door" and means the total cash price you pay the dealer. It includes the price of the bike plus sales tax, license fees, and possibly dealer prep. Dealer prep is somewhat controversial as some consider it to be nothing more than extra dealer profit. Some dealers charge a few hundred to set up a new bike, put fluids in, and make sure it starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode