Question about when to wear gear - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Question about when to wear gear

I've been looking into getting a bike for a while and am finally getting serious. First, just wanted to say this forum has been quite helpful. I have a question about gear though. I know that anyone smart wears full gear when doing any type of aggressive riding. My question is what type of gear ya'll wear when just riding. Like if I want to take by bike to work one day, do I need full leathers? If you wear full gear, what do you do when you get there, just strip it off? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 07:46 AM

gear

wear gear all the time..... if you want to save your skin
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 07:53 AM

Re: gear

Quote:
Originally posted by yzfR666
wear gear all the time..... if you want to save your skin
Excatly. But at the minimum I would recommend you always wear: helmet, gloves, jacket, shoes/boots that cover your ankle ( wear them snugg ) and long pants ( those wont help you with road rash much but will with crap like rocks/bugs hitting your legs ).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 07:55 AM

I wear gear for all types of riding because even if I'm not being agressive I can still be taken out by an inattentive driver, by hitting an animal, or by any number of other hazards.

If you are commuting on your bike it's hard to beat textile gear that fits over your clothing. Aerostitch makes very nice stuff but it is pricey. My one piece Roadcrafter suit is the only piece of gear I consider a must have and I'd feel naked without it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by stoinkythepig
If you are commuting on your bike it's hard to beat textile gear that fits over your clothing. Aerostitch makes very nice stuff but it is pricey. My one piece Roadcrafter suit is the only piece of gear I consider a must have and I'd feel naked without it.
Would a Roadcrafter suit be fine for all types of riding or would a leather suit also be a good idea? It's so expensive I'd like to avoid having to buy anything else.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 10:42 AM

I wouldn't recommend textile for serious riding as I've heard stories about the material melting to a riders skin after a semi-long slide. It definitely beats the heck out of denim since it's armored but for track or serious twities go leather without a doubt.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 10:49 AM

I would not use a Roadcrafter to race (probably not even allowed for racing but track days might be OK) but it's great for all types of street riding. Leather is tougher and much better suited for racing but it's terribly inconvenient. Aerostitch suits will protect you very well in a crash but will likely require more repair than leather would, in the same situation. If you can afford only one type of gear and ride on the street a textile suit is the way to go.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 11:31 AM

If leather pants are too costly, you can always check out draggin jeans - at least they're better than regular denim and you can usually find them on e-bay. Just beware of the sizing, it's my understanding they run small.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 09:08 PM

LOL @ the thread topic....

Q: Question about when to wear gear
A: Anytime there's a gastank between your legs...

Seriously, there doesn't have to be that much of a tradeoff between gear and "real life" - depending on your lifestyle, ie what you have to be wearing when not on the bike. As I teach and study at a university, I've got some flexibility, but here's what I've found works:

Helmet & Gloves - all the time, obviously. I still see guys here riding w/out gloves...

Jacket - I have a fancy leather jacket for all-but-rain riding, and a used $50USD textile jacket (armoured) for rain riding. One of these is ALWAYS on if I'm riding. If it really gets too hot here this summer (ie in 6 mos) I may buy one of those draggin' jeans kevlar shirts for short rides around town.

Pants - I have two pair of Draggin' Jeans brand pants - one a pair of black jeans, one a pair of black cargo pants. Kevlar lined and a lot better than nothing, but so comfortable I actually wear them on days I'm not riding. Just like slightly thicker jeans.

Boots - I have a pair of Alpinestars Web boots for "real" riding, or a pair of caterpillar hiking boots for when I need to look normal. They're steel toe, steel shank, and protect my ankles (and the laces tuck under the tongue nicely) and are a lot better IMHO than just wearing sneakers.

Point of the story is that when I get off my bike, I've got a helmet in one hand (gloves in the helmet), and when I take my jacket off, I'm just a guy in jeans, a t-shirt (or whatever) and hiking boots. In my mind, unless its REALLY hot, there's no excuse not to wear decent gear. Spend any time reading on this site and you'll see why decent gear is a MUST. If it weren't for this site I'd probably still be riding around in a t-shirt... :

Oh and as for the sizing of the draggin jeans, I found the cargos to fit normal, but the jeans to fit small, ie I wear a 36 in the cargos and a 38 in the jeans, whereas I'm normally a 34-36 sized guy. Mind you, I'm wearing the made-in-australia ones, the US ones may be different.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 01:21 AM

Wear them all the time. The time you decide to not wear your riding gear "just because" could be the time you might need them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode