800 too big for starter bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Question 800 too big for starter bike?

hey all,
this is my first post here. i'm gonna be selling my dual sport soon and getting a street-only bike. i've been looking around in the local classifieds and stuff, but nothing yet.
anyways, i know its not a sport bike, but one of the bikes i've found is a 99 suzuki marauder for $3k. It's an 800 - do you think that's too big? I've only been riding for about a year, but I've taken to it pretty well I think. I'm a smart kid, I'm not gonna be trying to do wheelies or go 150 the first day out w/a "new" bike, so respect for the bike isn't a problem. What do you think?
thanks,
bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 09:38 PM

I think the first issue is what kind of bike do you want? A cruiser or a sportbike. At 450+ pounds, the Maurader is heavy enough to need 800cc's. How much street riding have you done on your dual-sport? The Marauder is made for highway cruising.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure which I want... Actually, I'd take either I think. I just want something bigger than a 200 so I can take it places instead of just driving around town. I've done quite a bit of street driving on my dual sport, more than dirt time. Probly 300 miles or so, compared to 50 off-road...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:06 AM

the 800 should be an ok starter bike. my re-entry bike a few years back was a vulcan 800. big and heavy....and slow (don't have to worry about doing 150...or wheelies, it can't)...btw...an 800 cruiser has about 45 hp....about 65 hp less than a sportbike of equal displacement.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 08:16 AM

I think you'd get more fun out of something smaller and more sportbike biased. Maybe a Suzuki SV650, Honda Hornet or similar.
But ultimately, it depends on what you want to do on the road. 300 miles isn't a great deal of road-riding experiance. Think about an MSF course and invest in some good gear too.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 09:17 AM

Hey Smeg, how about an update on the VTEC?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonk!
Hey Smeg, how about an update on the VTEC?

I'll get right on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode