02' F4i for first bike??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Arrow 02' F4i for first bike???

What do all of you think about this bike for a new rider? Good decision or bad?

Last edited by DrAzTiK87; 07-06-2002 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 10:26 AM

I just bought an '02F4i for my first bike last week. I have been riding it around all over the place. I think it is a fine first bike for me. It all depends on how comfortable you are on it and how well you know your limits. I am a new rider, so I don't push it and do things I know I have no business doing.

If you keep it sane, you will be fine on it...but only if you feel comfortable with it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 07:27 PM

This has been covered a bunch..try doing a search..for first bike..or something similar..

A 500 would be better..IMHO..and there are many reasons why..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 06:03 AM

Smile

Welcome to SBW!!!!

This is probably the most common question. Like Hammer said, a 500 might be better. It's not impossible to start sportriding on a 600. But as a 1st streetbike it's definately discouraged. Simply because when you make any common beginner's mistake (which 99.9% of all new riders do) then it helps NOT to have a bike with such a sharp power to weight ratio. 91 rwhp is nothing to bat an eye at. 500's are much more forgiving.

Regards
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 01:40 PM

I purchased a 600F4i a couple months ago and it is technically the first sportbike I have owned and I love it. However, I spent an entire summer riding a ZX-6 and I took the MSF class right away too.

What the others are telling you ceratinly has some merit to it, so I would keep that in the back of your mind. If its your first bike altogether and you have never ridden, be warned that a 600 is a handful. Plenty of people will try and tell you otherwise, but don't believe 'em(not enough power...you will get bored...blah blah blah). For a first (and maybe second or third) a 600 will do everything you need and then some. If you go ahead with the purchase, I would take the MSF as soon as you can and make sure you spend the time getting used to your new toy...the F4i is a great bike and I love mine, but believe that it will get away from you if you don't pay attention!! Good luck, be safe.

- Derek
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Went to a couple of dealers... One dealer quoted me $7800 out the door for a Silver and red one...threw in bike cover and magnetic tank bag... other dealer $8700 for a Yellow and Black one... told me he couldnt match the $7800... being its the yellow and black bike that most people want... Do they really charge more for different color bikes?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 01:18 PM

I bought my new 2002 F4I on June 14, 2002 for $7,599.00

The color doesn't matter. I had to wait for a week since Ray Wilt (Hanover, PA) had to get it directly from the factory (no yellow/black in stock).. All colors are the same price.. at least there SHOULD be NO difference

Being quoted $8,700 sounds ridiculous to me.. being Honda's MSRP is only $8,100..

As for the F4I being your first bike.... It depends on your comfort level and maturity level.
I've never rode.. no dirtbike, 4 wheeler experience at all. I'm 27 years old, with a clean driving record, so my willingness to hold back, and not doing stupid $hit plays a big part in my having right under 1000 smooth, accident free miles on my new F4I.

First day was spent in a big parking lot in first gear, learning how the bike handled, the controls, body positioning, and other various basic skills.

If you get the F4I, or any 600 class sportbike.. LEARN the bike, and learn it well..... One mishap, or too much twist of the wrist, and if you're not 100% attentive.. this baby will throw you right off, and not think twice about it...

Just my two cents
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 01:24 PM

The color doesn't matter. I had to wait for a week since Ray Wilt (Hanover, PA) had to get it directly from the factory (no yellow/black in stock).. All colors are the same price.. at least there SHOULD be NO difference

Being quoted $8,700 sounds ridiculous to me.. being Honda's MSRP is only $8,100..

As for the F4I being your first bike.... It depends on your comfort level and maturity level.
I've never rode.. no dirtbike, 4 wheeler experience at all. I'm 27 years old, with a clean driving record, so my willingness to hold back, and not doing stupid $hit plays a big part in my having right under 1000 smooth, accident free miles on my new F4I.

First day was spent in a big parking lot in first gear, learning how the bike handled, the controls, body positioning, and other various basic skills.

If you get the F4I, or any 600 class sportbike.. LEARN the bike, and learn it well..... One mishap, or too much twist of the wrist, and if you're not 100% attentive.. this baby will throw you right off, and not think twice about it...

Just my two cents
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JOSEPHLB

The As for the F4I being your first bike.... It depends on your comfort level and maturity level.

Just my two cents
Allow me to try and shed some light on this subect, and why I believe a smaller bike is better to learn on..

1...Cheaper..hence you have a fear of dropping a 4k bike as opossed to a 8k bike.
2...the smaller(250-500cc0 is much lighter, thus easier to handle..and after the first few rides..of getting over the fear/nervous factor..this is a blessing in your learning curve.
3...Less power=much more USER friendly..once again there's that word..fear..as in I hope I don't give this bike to much gas, and crash..With a smaller motor, your apt to take to the bike much quicker, thus your learning curve will vastly be greater, IMHO than a new rider that starts on a 600, or 750... Oh, and mistakes..what if ya did give it too much gas..? well, say you have a 50hp. bike compared to a 100 hp. bike, which would you rather make the mistake on..I'd choose the 50hp. bike any day..
4...Which bike do you feel better on..? Lets suppose you snag a 100hp. 600 for your 1st. bike, lets say that you'ev never riden, or have very little experience..Let's also say that, your a tad nervous riding that 600 for the first 1000 miles..and IF your Honest..most new riders are..So that 1000 miles it took for you to get..semi comfy on the bike..K? There could be exceptions to this..but I'd hazzard a guess the # would be very small..Now put that same person on a 250, or 500 ninja/GS..and I'll bet ya any amount of $$$ that it doesn't take that 1000 miles to get comfy..in effect..the 600 rider wasted IMHO lots of miles, just to get sorta use to the bike..so what happened.? The 600 slowed the learning curve..

5...It's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow..This doesn;t ,mean racing all over town, this means to be able to ride a given bike w/o a ton of fear, respect YES..and to be comfy on the bike, and IMHO, this happens much faster when learning on a smaller bike..ever wonder why most, if not all the pro's started on 50-80cc bikes, yep, cause they were little kids, but...I'll bet lots of em..rode those 50-80cc bikes for a long time..why? cause ya can throw em around, there's absolutly no fear factor..so you tend to try things on those bikes, you might not try on a more powerful bike, why.? because of the fear factor..more power=more speed, the faster ya go, the more pain you can induce, possibly..

6...Fun..it's so much more fun to ride a smaller bike, heck..there are guys that would embarass some of you in the twisties, or on a track..yep, the guys/gals that ride 250's..and your on your 600/750, and this little 250, just comes flyin by ya..on the outside..

7...LOOKS...I really wish the manufactures would make a slick lookin 250/500...I'd be willing to bet, a bunch of ya want a 600..or bigger, because of the looks..? All I can say is, try to make this the LAST priority when choosing a first bike.

8...We'd like to see ya around for the next 25 yrs...so many new riders get hurt, or worse, due to inexperience..as in panic situations..just read any of the m/c boards..there's a bunch of em...I wa going into a turn too hot, so I slammed on my rear brake...and the bike slid out from under me..when in reality, the turn prolly could have been made, if ya didn't panic..because you were prolly going to fast, but if ya had that 250/500 that may not have happened..this is just an example..

I'm not very good at exspessing my thoughts and views via my key board..so there may be errors...

Ride safe ...and Practice anything, that's not second nature to ya..

Oh..,and sorry for the long rant..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 07:36 PM

I just bought a Suzuki GS500 for my first bike a couple of weeks ago. I just hit 600 miles tonight. It's easy to learn on...little fear of accidentally giving it too much throttle and having it jump out from under you. However, it will jump right up to 80-90 miles an hour quite quickly.

I bought a leftover 2001 model for $3300 just because the dealership wanted to get rid of their last 2001 model...really badly.

No fairings to worry about scratching/denting/breaking. Talk about easy to clean. The only chrome are the mirrors and headlight. Everything else is powdercoated. Hose it down and go. I still get compliments on what a sharp looking bike it is. Sportbike and Harley riders all seem to love the naked look.

Insurance is damned near free. Full coverage 20/50/20 with 100/250 deductibles and roadside assistance is only $18 per month for me (30 years old with clean record).

If I had gotten a 600cc bike for my first one, I would have been scared stiff worrying about killing myself with a newbie mistake. I can concentrate on the road more instead of how many millimeters of throttle I can safely give it before it jumps out from under me.

Ride what you want, just be careful..whatever you choose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode