motorcycle safety courses - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

motorcycle safety courses

Whats poppin fellaz! i got a quick question for you guys one of my good friends is signed up for motorcycle safety classes in september, he has never been on a bike and wants to learn how to ride, now the class is for three days friday,saturday,and sunday he will have 20 hrs on and off, bike riding and classroom time. Now he is planning to purchase a 01 f4i (by the way, i talked him into that one) my question is will he have the knowledge to ride after 3 days of professional training, now he is a fast learner and very easy to teach things to, but will that class give him the knowledge to ride a motorcycle, i just dont want my friend to crack his head open when he hops on one. Need some advice to give him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:23 PM

Welp...I've never done the MSF course....when I first got my lic. there wasn't a MSF..anyway..the reason I'm replying to your post is, the choice of bike, for your bud, ...your aware of the speed that F4i is capable of, right..? or any newer 600 sportbike..do you think it's wise, being that he doesn't know how to ride, that a 150mph bike is a good choice..? even though he's a fast learner..I'd be inclined to suggest a slower bike to start with, he'll have more fun, he'll learn faster, and be safer..you do want to see him stick around and stay healthy..right..? Please, consider something else for your friend...a ninja 500..ect would be a good way to go..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 05:47 PM

MSF

I took the MSF RiderCourse last summer. I highly recommend it. It gave me a sound foundation only to start with. Now with 1400 miles in NYC, I'm still learning and expect to keep on learning.

I think that the first 500 miles is critical to have the utmost control of your bike. I would say that you should ride with your buddy each and every time until he gets acclimated to riding, preferably starting off a few times staying in an empty parking lot.

An F4 is a lot of bike to start with, but as long as he is mature enough not to go crazy until he develops. A lot of squids jump on GSXRs and R1s right off the bat and end up in the ER. His biggest enemy will be other cars and he will need to learn how to avoid them.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 06:07 PM

MSF

I took the MSF RiderCourse last summer. I highly recommend it. It gave me a sound foundation only to start with. Now with 1400 miles in NYC, I'm still learning and expect to keep on learning.

I think that the first 500 miles is critical to have the utmost control of your bike. I would say that you should ride with your buddy each and every time until he gets acclimated to riding, preferably starting off a few times staying in an empty parking lot.

An F4 is a lot of bike to start with, but as long as he is mature enough not to go crazy until he develops. A lot of squids jump on GSXRs and R1s right off the bat and end up in the ER. His biggest enemy will be other cars and he will need to learn how to avoid them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 02:05 PM

I think the MSF is a great thing for any rider. Quite a few of the people in the class when I took it had been riding for years. They actually took every so often to freshen up on the bad habits that we all inevitably pick up.

What it will teach your friend is the basic fundamentals of riding, rules of the road, and basic techniques. Will he feel more comfortable getting on a bike after the class, yes....will he be able to put a knee down in corners..NO! In my opinion, the class is a great way to start out on the right foot, but only time and riding will improve your friend's ability. You can sit in a class all day and hear how to do something...but it will never be the same as the first time the rear end slides out on you or you come across an obsticle in a turn. However having had the class, you will be much more mentally prepared for such things.

Long story short, class = good, but it will not teach him everything he needs to know and hopping straight onto a machine like an F4i may be a bit too much, fast learner or not, Hammer has a good point...bigger faster bikes are not as forgiving. Just something to think about if you want his melon to stay in one piece

BTW - good step in taking class, remind him to start buying gear now too..jacket, gloves, etc!

- Derek
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 01:21 PM

I just took the MSF this summer, and got on my YZF600R and rode it. I worked the neighborhood and school parking lot at 25 and less for 3 to 4 days before stepping out in traffic. The nice thing about the neighborhood ride was lots of stop signs, and stop -->turns, slow turns. Plus the school was a good place to re-practice the MSF drills we did. Anyways once comfy with the throttle, and other controls, I was off. I got about 650 miles right now, and they have been normal riding, mostly with a friend who understands my "newbie skills". So we just ride, and I try and learn one thing every time I ride. I have gotten up to 100 once, for a few secs, on the highway, but other than that 50-60 feels fast and enjoyable. I just enjoy the ride, not just tthe out-right speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode