Please Help Meeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Please Help Meeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

hi i live in nyc and i want to get a motorcycle...ive been hearing alot of good things about the 250 ninja...ive never ridden before and i dont even have my permit....i plan on going to the dmv in a week or so to get it and take msf course
i heard at the msf course they use lightweight bikes and larger bikes really arent for beginners?
im about 5'8" and 125 lbs.....do u think a bike like the zx6r or r6 would be too much for me? should i stick with the 250?
im going to go to uiversal technical institute in houston in the fall and i need a form of transportation...i got an online quote at progressive for a 600cc bike and it came out to $355 a year WITH 2 moving violations! i was so surprised and now im bent on getting a bike....
do u guys think that getting a bike is a practical means of everyday transportation? i would need to get groceries and do laundry and all that on a bike...is that possible? what do u guys think a good first bike would be for me? should i not even get a bike and get a car? the main reason i wanted a bike is because when i got my two moving violations i thought my license would be revoked so i was shooting for M license but turns out my license is still a-ok
is a bike not for me? i am on a tight budget bc uti doesnt have dorms and they hook u up with a nice job that pays just a scratch over minimum wage...they want u to live off a crappy job while going to school 7 hours a day....
OH YEAH what can i do to the 250 ninja to make it pretty?
i think the 250 looks very ugly.....the design hasnt been changed for like 15 years!!
does any aftermarket company make a fairing with a headlight? i hate that square headlight it comes with....the fairing isnt so bad...but i dont even like how gsxrs look bc it has a single headlight...im a fan of duals...can i take the front fairing off and get a generic round headlight to make it look like a crappy sv650? if so, where would i mount the mirrors? any 250 styling would be very very appreciated (but not things like rear fender eliminators and flush mount turn signals....i need a REAL makeover...)
THANK YOU! i just found this forum and im glad there is a whole community out there that can help me in decisions regarding motorcycles
whoa i just looked at it....i should write a novel....a crappy one....sorry i talk too much guys....

i put this up on the kawasaki-specific forum but no one seems to want to help me out there.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 07:26 AM

The two-fiddy is a great starter bike. You may want to also look at the 500R and maybe some models like the gs500 from suzuki. There are people who live on a bike alone. I am not one of them. I personally would rather have a car/truck rather than a bike if I could only have the choice of one. I just think it makes life easier having a cage, you know, for extremely bad weather, dates, moving, taking trips with friends. Everyday transportation can be done on a bike. People do it everyday. You're doing right by staying away from the r6's and zx-6r's for a first bike. If you want a 600 though you may look into used katanas or zx-6e's ( or older molders ). Welcome to riding!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks for replying....this post has been viewed 41 times but only 1 reply....i think ppl get turned off by the super-long thread...i dunno....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:43 PM

Just out of curiosity, was your insurance quote for NYC, or Houston? I've heard of Progressive having insanely different rates for different places.

But about your real question.....I would stay away from a bike as your only mode of transportation for a while. Since you haven't ridden yet, you may find that it is not really for you. Remember that you'll have to make quite an investment in gear to begin with, especially if you plan on staying dry in bad weather. And you were correct to bring up groceries and laundry- plan on making alot of trips.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike

Last edited by Stake; 07-01-2002 at 11:01 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:53 PM

I agree with No Bike the EX250 is a great to start on. You could also look into an EX500, also a great starter bike. I have an EX500 and love it! If you have to live on a budget than an F4i or R6 would definitely be something to stay away from. I'm amazed you were able to get an insurance quote for a 600 for $355 a year with moving violations. I looked into insurance for a '92 CBR 600 and the lowest I could get was ~$1800 with a clean record. Anyway, the 250 may not be the prettiest bike out there, but it would serve your purpose.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

it was $355 a year in houston with 2 moving violations and $1900 (?) for a year in nyc withOUT the moving violations
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 06:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i have to agree with stake, a motorcycle as your only form of transportation can be tough. especially if you never rode before. if you can handle texas rain at 50 mph, sure get the bike.

given your situation, a ninja 250 would be perfect. light, great mileage, dependable. the 500 is more highway friendly though.

imo looks aren't worth the cash you'd spend.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 09:53 AM

I just got the Suzuki GS500 as my first bike and I couldn't be more happy. I also have a Nissan truck. I need the truck for rainy days, getting groceries, etc.

They have fairing kits for the 500, some including dual headlight kits. They look pretty sharp, IMO.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 11:22 AM

You are going to be in Houston? The cold weather won't be very bad but the heat might get to you after awhile with a bike being your only mode of transportation. I'm in Dallas and you can ride almost all year except for the rare ice/snow storms.

Bikes are great for school since parking on most campuses stink (motorcycle parking is usually right up front and car parking is way out and crowded). Bikes are not so great for laundry and grocery shopping. I guess it all depends on how big of a backpack you have

A 250 Ninja is a great first bike. It gets about 60-70 mpg. It's cheap to buy new and even cheaper used and cheap to insure. It's easy to ride and it's very light (nice if you happen to drop it) compared to other bikes. About making it prettier...I can't help you there. Other bikes to consider, as others mentioned are the 500 Ninja, GS500 and the SV650. Also factor the price of a good helmet, gloves and a riding jacket into your budget.

Good luck And definately take the MSF course first
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 03:11 PM

OK, now let the posts start flyin'. Let's see....1st I think a bike as the only trans is not too bad in the Houston area. I have lived there and it's pretty nice year-round. 2nd, get a tank bag, bungee net and backpack and you can carry pretty much. 3rd, drum roll please.....I would not get the 250 or even the 500 twin (this should get some response)....you DO like girls don't you? Those bikes are going to be slugs 2-up riding. Not to mention 1st impressions with your date.Unless your dates are all going to drive, this is important. I say an older 600. Not one of the repli-racers. One that will be comfortable for 2. The 600 Ninja or the early CBR600. And 4th make sure you take the safety course.

Granted, this is my opinion, but you need to think these angles if this will be all you ride. I am asking for others to post to this if a bike is their only trans, so let's here it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode