where to ride behind another group? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

where to ride behind another group?

I live at Lake Tahoe, where a lot of groups come to ride. Quite often i get behind a group of 2 to 10 bikes. They are usually riding in the staggered formation.

Where should I ride? ie if the guy ahead of me is in left tire track, should I ride in the right? Should I hang back like I would in a car? Does it make any difference if the other bikes are sportbikes vs Harleys or touring bikes? Up here, the touring and harley riders seem pretty cool (they will wave when you pass them).

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:49 PM

Thumbs up Re: where to ride behind another group?

Quote:
Originally posted by hpcbmw
...Where should I ride? ie if the guy ahead of me is in left tire track, should I ride in the right? Should I hang back like I would in a car? Does it make any difference if the other bikes are sportbikes vs Harleys or touring bikes? Up here, the touring and harley riders seem pretty cool (they will wave when you pass them)...
You already got the right idea.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 03:31 PM

If I come across another group or rider I fall into the standard following rules, but with an extra space. I.e., instead of 1 second back in the opposite position I stay 2 back in the opposite position. That way they don't have some total stranger totally riding in their group, but I'm close enough that they will see me and know I'm there.

Hasn't seemed to bug anyone yet.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 05:04 PM

Quote:
That way they don't have some total stranger totally riding in their group, but I'm close enough that they will see me and know I'm there.

I agree with JeremyML, but every once in a while I get the urge to pull a big ol' nasty wheelie and split their group right down the center. And if I'm in a bad mood...I kick the Harley riders as I go by screaming Tora Tora Tora!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 05:42 PM
elo

Wink

Don't believe YZFJeff. He hasn't gotten it out of first gear yet!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 06:50 PM

I think YZF has been playing too much Road Rash.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:41 PM

Wink Something like that :)

Too much Road Rash is right! And don't forget SBK2000, SBK2001, Castrol Superbike, GP500 mixed with a little Mortal Kombat and Redneck Rampage! It all adds up to a deadly cocktail of sportbike rage!

Quote:
Don't believe YZFJeff. He hasn't gotten it out of first gear yet! ELO
ELO....We'll see in about 4 weeks when you get done with school!

BARTLETT High Noon!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:29 AM
elo

Wink

I'll be taking the 12 hp pocketbike.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 04:43 PM

Personally, if I were in a group and a rider comes up, I would not like them following close at all. I would say 4 or 5 seconds back. This is taking into consideration that they are sportbikes and are riding at a brisk clip. This really does not apply to cruisers or tourers. Follow them until they stop (sportbikers always do to brag...he-he...) and pull up and talk to them. If they ask you riding questions, anwser honestly, they are sizing you up. Now, you just made some riding buddies. What we normally do is have the new guy ride 2nd to last with a senior guy behing to check you out and make sure you are safe. If you are going to go fast around curves, you want to trust the guys around you.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 10:33 PM

hpcbmw,
I live in Reno and belong to a club that rides in the area. The web site is
NevadaSportBikeClub.com . We alternate between Carson and Reno every Sunday. This Sunday we are meeting in Reno and riding up highway 89 north through Sierraville to have lunch. If you want a group to ride with, hit the website and check us out. There are no membership fees, we just ask that you agree to ride safe and wear leathers (or other protective gear if you have it). Lots of nice guys and a few gals too. If you don't want to drive all the way to Reno, you can just meet us at Highway 89 where it intersects I-80. We will get off there and head north after leaving Reno(probably hit 89 at around 10 - 10:30). You will learn alot riding woth a group and it is great fun. Hope to see you there,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode