02 cbr600 to an 02r1 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

02 cbr600 to an 02r1

wuz up fellaz! once again i'm back with another problem last time it was what bike to start out on and you guys gave me some great advice so now i'm asking for more of that advice. i have been riding my 02 cbr 600 for about a couple of months now and i can say i really love it and have gotten familiar with it, but i really am starting to love the 02 r1 and was thinking about trading my 600 in for one, but i dont know if i would be able to handle an r1 since it is alot more powerful than a 600 and making that transition would be something i would need to get use to, but i'm not trying to ride to become a street demon of speed, i ride because of my love for it and just to enjoy myself. So what are you guys thoughts would i be able to go from a 600 to 1000 with only few months riding expierience, as i read this, it sounds totally crazy to ask, but i need help and i would rather have it among fellow riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 02:39 PM

Sorry dude but I don't think that's a great idea. How many miles do you have under your belt? There is absolutley no way you're pushing that 600 to the limits with only a few months of riding. Do you want the R1 because of how it looks? Sounds like a bad idea to me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 04:28 PM

i think most people would advise you to wait a few years. You really need the experience and knowledge of riding for atleast a few years before you would need a liter bike. I'm not saying you can't handle the bike, anyone can ride one, but you wouldn't be riding it properly, if that makes any sense.
If all you care about is the looks, the R1 is beautiful, then trade your bike in for the R6, it's almost the same bike but in a smaller package. It's up to you.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

i really do appreciate the response fellaz and i think your right it just takes a second response in those situations, mainly from other, more experienced riders. So i think i will try to become a better rider with my trusty 600 and like you guys said add some miles under my belt and find what exactly are the limitations of my bike and my riding. Well once again you guys have bailed me out, well until the next insane idea i get in my head i'll talk to you then. Jecai.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 05:44 AM

hmm.. only a few months from experiencing a CBR 600 and wanting to move up to a YZF R-1? I'm pretty new myself but have quite a few buddies with many years under them. And from i can conceive and logically, that's pretty dangerous. Take the advice from the other posts. It's really not a good idea. I'd love to buy an R-1 because it looks so beautiful. But its just not a good idea.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:28 AM

another point of view...

i think that anyone can handle a big bore bike. true the throttle doesnt need to be at full lock for the bike to be ridden and im sure that many people realize this and ride within their limits. riding under normal conditions and knowing your limits, there is a big chance that everything will go smoothly and you will continue to rack up the miles and experience.

unfortunately, what happens in abnormal situations? thats when a razor sharp tool like an R1 or GSXR1000 can and will bite you. people recommend smaller bikes for beginners because they are more forgiving of mistakes, these larger bikes are not as forgiving and require a skilled rider to ride them safely.

can you handle the bike? propbably. can you handle the bike when the rear slides out and a car is fast approaching? i dont know. and im sure you dont want to find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode