A little help please? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Question A little help please?

I'm hoping you guys (and gals) can help me. Being a relatively new rider I'm becoming a better rider each time I go out. A problem I'm still having is on takeoffs from a stop. No problems on a slow leisurely start. My problem is trying to takeoff at a fairly quick rate of speed.

While I don't want to seem like I want to race or anything, I want to ensure that I can get the hell out of the way right out of the gate when necessary. It seems like everytime I try this, I end up stalling. Such a newb!!

Anyway, I try to get the rpms up fairly high and let out on the clutch fairly quickly, without popping it. Still seems like I'm either not getting rpms up high enough, or it's a problem with working the clutch. I drove a stick in a car for the last 12 years, so I shouldn't be having this problem. But...here I am.

I must also admit that I have tried to take off fast and hard off the line a couple of times racing a buddy of mine in his Mustang GT. Then, I just look stupid because I can't get out of first (stall!!). Sometimes I do it with no probs. Sometimes I don't. I think that I don't have rpms up high enough.

For you racers out there: what's a good target rpm range for a quick start off the line?

Thanks in advance....JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:47 AM

Bring the revs up to 4000 or 5000 RPM and slip the clutch until the bike speed catches up with the engine speed and the clutch is fully engaged. You should add power right after the clutch begins to grab and as necessary if the engine slows. Sounds like you are trying to get the clutch out too quickly.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 11:28 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I agree, just sounds like you're letting it out too quickly. I don't know about other manufacturers, but Hondas are really easy to take off on, it just takes practice. You can actually just let out on the clutch slowly with no throttle and the bike will go, if you do it right. They are that easy. As far as taking off quickly, like so many other aspects of riding, practice practice practice....

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I figured that I just needed to get my rpms up. I haven't had any probs slowly getting out of first.

Spicersh - I already let it out slowly with no throttle and coast. Usually while waiting in line on an onramp, or at a stop sign.

I guess I'll just have to crank it a little more for a quicker start...JB
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 07:40 AM

Just a kinda stupid pointer but...

When I was learning I stalled the piss out of my bike just because my body wanted to do it backwards. Go fast with the clutch until you feel it catch/it gets near where it would catch and then slow the movement down. I'd always do it the other way and it'd stall, but it's hard to notice until you really pay attention to what you're doing with your hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode