engine type? twin vs 4cylinder? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

engine type? twin vs 4cylinder?

*sniff* I'm so confused...what's the difference between v-twins and four-cyclinder engines? performance , exhaust between the two?

and does a motorcycle being two stroke or whatever else there is depend on engine type?????

i'm so confused *sniff* mommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 03:16 PM
elo

V-twin means the motor has two cylinders, they are at angles to each other and form a "V." (degree of angle varies from bike to bike)

Inline Four cylinder machines have four cylinders, all in a line. Some machines have V-fours which have two cylinders on each side of the V.

There are also singles and triples, but they are not as common.

V-twin machines are far more torquie (still not sure if that's a real word) than their Inline-4 counterparts, and cc to cc are not comparable on power. A basic rule of thumb is that a 1000cc V-twin is comparable to a 750cc inline-4, a 750cc v-twin is comparable to a 600cc inline-4 and so-on. I'm quite sure I will be challenged on this since with bike technology where it is, this formula isn't all that accurate anymore. But it's a start.

The question is WHERE does the bike make it's best power? (powerband) V-twins have a lot of power lower in the RPM's while Inline-4's run at their best higher in the revs. Unfortunately again, it's almost impossible to explain, this is something that just needs to be "felt." And I'm sure there are others that can explain the technicalities better than me.

Two strokes you don't really have to worry about unless you're riding a 125cc bike, pocketbike, YSR, some dirtbikes or a rare 250cc racebike. Two strokes are a whole other can of worms that are quickly becoming extinct.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 05:38 AM

two-strokes and four-strokes are different engine types. twins and fours are just different configurations, as are singles and and triples; simply the amount of cylinders used in X engine design. both two and four stroke motors may be any number of cylinders. two strokes are very simple, very powerful motors that are enjoyable to learn about and are used in everything from small RC models to powered lawn equipment to GP racing motorcycles, but it is true that you will not likely be purchasing one to ride around, unless you are getting a Vintage bike or a 250 (most common in U.S.) track bike. The amount of cylinders has a HUGE effect on a motorcylce, not so much in terms of how much power it has, but in terms of how the power is delivered. What Elo has said is more or less on the money, and I could mention some fine points, but I've heard that one should NEVER argue with Elo.

Me, I'm all about twins!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 06:04 AM

This site might answer alot of your questions :

http://www.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke.htm
you can search out how all kinds of different engines work
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 07:16 AM
elo

Arrow

By all means, please correct me where I'm wrong. No sense in handing out incorrect information.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elo
By all means, please correct me where I'm wrong. No sense in handing out incorrect information.
your on the money but the site has pictures which could help him out some more on the different types on engines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode