Same sort of ? all us newbs seem to ask - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Same sort of ? all us newbs seem to ask

I'm diligently saving my pennies so I can purchase my first bike. I've definitely settled on a sport bike (obviously) but the question remains, which one? I really like the looks of the early to mid 1990's Katanas since they are pretty sporty without being one of those mindbenders like a GSXR or R6/R1. The 600cc class seems to be enough bike that I could be content with the one bike for the indeterminate future, but not so much bike that I'll have road rash on my butt twice a month from having it take off and leave me hanging in mid air i.e. Wiley Coyote. But of course, I'm a newbie to bikes so there are bound to be tons of things I'm not taking into consideration and don't even realize I'm missing them. Help me out here folks; what am I failing to take into account that would be an important part of a really sound buying decision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:17 PM

Re: Same sort of ? all us newbs seem to ask

Quote:
Originally posted by maxwell24fan
I'm diligently saving my pennies so I can purchase my first bike. I've definitely settled on a sport bike (obviously) but the question remains, which one? I really like the looks of the early to mid 1990's Katanas since they are pretty sporty without being one of those mindbenders like a GSXR or R6/R1. The 600cc class seems to be enough bike that I could be content with the one bike for the indeterminate future, but not so much bike that I'll have road rash on my butt twice a month from having it take off and leave me hanging in mid air i.e. Wiley Coyote. But of course, I'm a newbie to bikes so there are bound to be tons of things I'm not taking into consideration and don't even realize I'm missing them. Help me out here folks; what am I failing to take into account that would be an important part of a really sound buying decision?
Welcome.. First thing that you need to do is take the MSF course..they can be booked up, so contact them and sign up..they will teach you alot about riding, and how to stay OUT of trouble on the road.. Second..you'll need the proper gear, consisting of a good quality helmet, a good riding leather jacket, and hopefuly pants, good riding gloves, and boots that are made for riding..i.e. not work boots..

Now comes the subject of what bike to get..?? For your first bike, and as you've stated..a used one would be the way to go, and YES a Katana would be fine, also a 500 ninja would be good too..or a older cbr f2,..try not to get so caught up with the looks of the bike..more than likely..at some time down the road, you'll prolly get another one..

This is just my humble opinion..but...I, and others are of the mind that you'll learn more, learn faster, and develop better skillz starting out on a smaller bike..like a 250 ninja, a GS500..ect..these bikes aren't as much a handful as most of the "sportbikes" so the are much more user friendly, easier to handle, and allow YOU to gain more confidence earlier on..also learning on a smaller bike, teaches you things that are almost imposible to learn on a larger bike, and the aprt you'll need to be concerned with is...what happens in a panic situation..? that's where the smaller bike makes life a bit easier on you, as they are lighter, and much easier to control, in fact..in some countries, your required to start on smaller bikes, then you can graduate to a larger one after you complete yet another driving test..to bad it's not that way here.. Anyway, I hope this gives you some insight, regarding a choice in buying a bike, good luck..and have fun, but ride safe..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
I just bought my first bike, and it's a GS500. I love this bike to death. It has a lot of up-and-go without being too powerful, yet it is lighter and easier to control in slow-speed situations. I also looked a lot at early 90's Katana's for the same general reasons, but I set my mind to finding a 500cc bike as my first. I figure I plan on riding for many years to come, so why be in such a hurry to have a larger bike? I've got the rest of my life to ride those monsters!

You seem to be very grounded, which is really cool. But if you haven't already, definately get into an MSF course before the whole summer is booked.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 07:21 AM

My first bike is my YZF 600R. It's a lot of fun, but probably more bike than I should have gotten as my first. There are a lot of guys who'll say that as long as you control your right wrist, you can start on anything, and in theory, you can. As far as being able to control it, and being able to react to panic situations, it's a lot harder on a more nimble, more powerful bike. Since I've had it a while, I'm getting better, but I laid it down my 3rd time out on it. Maybe I should have gone with the SV 650 I was looking at, maybe not, but it's a little late now.

I'd say that if you're looking at a Kat, check out the SV too. Either are around 70 HP, but the SV is a lot lighter, doesn't have the plastics the Kat has, and is usually listed as a standard by insurance companies, where the Kat is a Sportbike.

Whatever you do go with, take the MSF as soon as you can. At this point, you may have to wait 'til late in the year, or possibly next year, but it's worth it. Welcome to the sport, and keep it safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode