Should I trade my 94 FZR600 for a 97 Katana 600? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Should I trade my 94 FZR600 for a 97 Katana 600?

I bought my 94 FZR600 2 months ago and have been riding it almost everyday. It had exactly 16,000 miles on it when I bought it and I have put 1400 miles on it since. The dealer near me has a used 97 Katana600 with 2400 total miles. The Katana looks like its in super condition, but I havent got to ride it yet. They want $3,700 for the Katana600. I bought my FZR for $3000, I figured I would get at least $2300 on a trade in. Im having a hard time deciding because my FZR runs great and handles so well and I heard that the Katana600 is heavy. But I want a newer bike with less miles at a good price. What should I do. All opinions are welcome. Check out the pic of the Katana im thinking about. My FZR is in almost mint condition without a scratch. This is a very hard decision for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 10:56 PM

Hmm..tough call

Well, besides the obvious (lower miles, newer) you aren't gaining much. The price seems a little high for the Kat. That was the last year for that body style (which started in '88)and the technology didn't change either. I don't know about the FZR, but the Katana uses an all steel frame, and is built like a tank. Totally bullet proof engine, but it is very heavy, and the suspension suffers because of this. It is more a sport-tourer by todays standards. While the FZR when it was released, was Yamaha's 600n sport bike. The Katana has never been anything other than a lower cost alternative to a more truer sport bike. My first bike was a 600 kat, and I enjoyed it-BUT- personally I say stick with the FZR or try and find a good Honda F2 or F3. Go to nada.com or kbb.com to check trade and retail values for your area.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 11:01 PM

MadFZR check around!

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/4/6/26988546.htm

Check the cycle trader. Above is a link to a 98 Hond F3 Smokin' Joe Edition in your state for $4300 DEals are out there if you look for em

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 07:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Nice looking kat however I think the price is a little high. For comparison here in Georgia a 2002 Kat 600 has a sticker of $6200 and what you already have is a nice bike. Do the comparison shopping use the resources my contemporary in the above posting mentioned and possibly look into the idea of maybe modifying your fzr if that is your interest. I never think it is a good idea to jump on the first bike that I see, negotiate from a position of power by doing the research then you will be armed to make a good deal no matter where your interests lie.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 01:51 PM

The Kat's only claim to fame was:it was the 1988 600 SuperSport champ.
They revised the valve train in 1992. The bike stock,(dry),will weigh 436lbs. With the after market pipe a propery tuned Kat will run a bit quicker too and weigh less too. Quarter mile times were in the low 11:9's,(stock).
The FZR is a better handling bike and a bit quicker too. I would say the main draw back to the FZR is it is not as comfortable as the Kat for longer rides..
From 1992 thru 1997 the only changes were to the paint job. The miles are very low,but, I would not give them more that $3000.00 for the bike,IMHO
BTW,the "new" Kats run only in the 12:1's and weigh 458lbs,uck!!

JIM
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:28 PM

MADFZR: well??????????

Don't leave us hangin'

What did you decide??
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 04:32 PM

Hope you kept the FZR. Much better bike.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

After doing a lot of research on the Katana, I decided to keep my FZR. From my understanding the Katana is a lot heavier and slower, and that is not what Im looking for. Ill just keep my FZR and get a brand new bike next year. That way Ill have 2 bikes. Hopefully a R6 or a GSXR 750.

Last edited by madfzr; 07-05-2002 at 08:26 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 10:49 PM

Good choice, virtually anything that's likely to go wrong on the FZR (since you say it's running great) is easily covered by the amount you would have to pay for the kat.

On top of gaining little in reliability/economy of decreased maintenance, it's a pig compared to the fzr in handling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode