weight on bars causing problems - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

weight on bars causing problems

Just bought a new 2002 CBRF4i yesterday. As much as I love it, breaking it in is a tease. I can't go over 50.

Anyway, after owning a 2000 GS500 and then a 1995 ZX600R (C-type) this was completely different. All of my weight is on my arms. When I go over bumps in the road, the front end bounces and it makes me jerk the throttle and gas it even more. I crashed my ninja this way (sort of) and don't want it to happen again. I've been trying to shift my weight around to get it off my arms, and it helps but is hard to hold. I have to keep my ass all the way back and press on the pegs. I have been thinking about softening the suspension but I haven't heard anyone else complain about this so I assume it's my fault. I read some other posts about shifting weight/position, but the problem for me is holding the throttle steady.

A little background:
17, 6'0", 150lbs, 6 months experience, took MSF course.
GS500 for 5 months (I love this bike. sold it to a friend and still get to ride it )
ZX600 for 1 month :-/ (real ugly, happy to see it totalled . lots of fun to ride, though)
CBR600 for 2 days (runs like a dream. currently limited to 4k RPM for break in )

Been reading Keith Code lately, seems to apply mostly to racers but cool regardless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 12:23 AM

make sure to keeps your elbows lose.. I try to follow this suggestion but I sometimes catch myself with elbows locked once awhile..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 09:34 PM

Your F4i has a more aggressive riding position and you have to train yourself to keep the weight off your hands. Starting with your feet, balls of your feet should be on the pegs except when shifting or rear braking. Bring your feet inward tightly until they press against the shield plate. Grip the tank with your legs. This will get you firmly "planted" on the bike with your lower body allowing you to keep your upper body loose. Ultimately, you should be able to almost let go of the bars and keep riding straight with a very light touch on the grips. Steering inputs can also be made with a light touch. Elbows and arms should be loose and elbows in (not stuck out). Exercises for your stomach and back muscles will help (especially when you get as old as I am). It may take a few weeks for this to feel OK. Really focus on being light on the bars.

You'll actually have better control sitting as close as you can stand to the tank. Heavy on the bars will trasmit all the bumps into your body (which you've already figured out) and will then transmit that motion back into the steering, throttle, etc which is not desirable. The bike should move under you while your upper body fluidly adjusts to the motions. Try "Twist of the Wrist II". It is geared more for street riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode